Need advice from owners: excessive sibilance brightness with new DUNU DN-2000J's?
May 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rebbi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a good IEM match for my iBasso DX80. I've been using a pair of Hifiman RE-600's, which should by now be pretty well broken in. They sound very good, but I had the itch to try something "better."  
rolleyes.gif

After scouting around here, reading threads and asking for recommedations, I bought a pair of DUNU DN-2000J's on Amazon.

Right out the box, with the the standard, installed, white ear tips, I noticed deeper, more authoritative bass than the RE-600's. On the other hand, the highs sound unbearably harsh, strident and exaggerated, even at lower volumes. Also, presumably because of their unusually low impedance, there's some noticeable hiss (which wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I can get the highs sorted out).

I will try giving them some break in time. Beyond that, I am finding the multitude of included accessories (tips, rings, etc.) rather overwhelming and the documentation very - um -sparse. Very eager for the advice of owners of this product to hear how much break in time they need and what customizations (accessories) you would try first.

Thanks a lot!

May 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Ah man! Thought you would've had a good time with the Dunu DN-2000J, mainly because I thought the DN-2000J would've had a slightly less sparkly highs compared to the Fidue A83 which has some very sparkly highs which kinda adds to the great detail that I like.

The hiss is annoying, the output impedance is correct for the DN-2000J but it must be the way the amplifier circuit has been designed that it just doesn't like low impedance IEM's. The OPPO HA-2 had the same issue for me but the XDP-100R which effectively has a similar circuit to the HA-2 does not have any hiss with my Fidue A83 which are 11 Ohm.

I think the following person can help, as he/she has tested and reviewed the DX80. @H20Fidelity

May 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 11
Other than that, there is not much I can say but try and look for IEM's with a warm sound signature.

Shure's SE535 comes to mind in terms of a warm/lush sound signature.

May 4, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Different tips can certainly affect frequency response, so be sure to try them. Particularly I personally find that foam tips can help tame highs.

May 4, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 11
  Other than that, there is not much I can say but try and look for IEM's with a warm sound signature.

Shure's SE535 comes to mind in terms of a warm/lush sound signature.

Thanks for the reply. What's your experience vis a vis break in time on these phones? Any effect of burn in noted?

May 4, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 11
  Thanks for the reply. What's your experience vis a vis break in time on these phones? Any effect of burn in noted?

Personally, I don't really believe a "burn-in" effects the sound signature or quality.

For me I found the Fidue A83 highs to be harsh initially and to this day they are still as harsh as they were when I first heard them but I have personally become use to the harsh/sparkly highs and like it a lot now.

May 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 11
  I don't know your DAP but I bet it has an EQ built in. It can make wonders.

That's a thought! I could definitely play with the EQ.

I was also reading this review which has a lot of info on how the various ear tips affect the sound of these IEM's. I see that they are acknowledged to be on the bright/analytical side but that it can be tamed somewhat with Comply tips.

May 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 11
Well, for whatever it's worth, I ended up sending these back to Amazon. In a way, these made me better appreciate my RE-600's – I like their honesty and neutrality. Yes, the DN-2000 J's do have more low end energy, but that tizzy high-end was more than I could stand. Before anyone posts hate messages, I recognize that everyone hears differently and is sensitive to different frequencies. I may experiment with a couple of other phones but I am sticking with my RE-600's for the time being.  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back