Need advice for rolling my CMOY...
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

bucket indeed

New Head-Fier
I have an eBay CMOY (9v), OPA2132 and OPA2227 chips, and primarily use T50rp's (on the advice of a member here -- you ROCK, whoever it was...)

When I got the CMOY, it came with the 227.  Tuning the T50rp's was a bit weird; it didn't seem to respond like it was supposed to.  The main issue I had was that plugging the ear side baffle port is supposed to increase bass response and flatten the mid range, but that didn't seem to work for me.  The bass response was a bit weak for my tastes, and flattening the mids left me with the urge to increase the volume constantly.  Just sucked the life right out of the cans.  And I never even messed with the bass ports since it didn't feel like I had any extra bass to sacrifice for responsiveness.  I also ended up cutting most of the center out of the treble reflector; highs were too sharp.  So I ended up with a fairly mid heavy setup with pretty sharp detail, probably fairly rolled off highs, and a longing for bass.  Then I got a few homemade CMOYs on eBay for super cheap, and they had 132s inside...

I just put the 132 in my CMOY, and my initial impressions were lukewarm at best.  All the sharp edges were gone.  I like impact, and the 132 just seems to smooth everything off.  On top of that, the V shaped response flattened my mids.  It basically nuked the things I liked best about my T50rp's.  On the other hand, the highs were a little more present but not harsh, and there was a LOT more bass, but it felt muddy and underwhelming.  I was really about to throw the chip out...  Then I listened to Awolnation's "Guilty Filthy Soul," and the bass at the start was just SOOO freaking good.  Now I had something to think about...

And when I did, I realized I didn't listen to things like Apocolyptica, Itzhak Perlman, or Thirty Seconds to Mars much anymore.  I'm thinking the 227 was a bit too harsh for sharper instruments, so I moved more toward Dubstep and other things that are benefited by the impact and sharpness of the 227.  I also figured that a fair amount of my tuning on the T50rp's was just fighting the 227.  Now, I still love the detail and impact of the 227, but I'm not sure if I can live with the anemic bass anymore.

TL;DR:  I want an opamp that combines the some of the sharpness of the 227 with the stronger bass of the 132 for my single chip, 9v CMOY.  A second option would be to convert one of the homemade (not by me) CMOY's to hold something else.

From what little I've found on these things, the AD823 Sounds about right.  Is it, or do you guys have any other suggestions?  Also, where should I go to get one of the things?  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back