Need advice for new IEM ...
Oct 2, 2007 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, after a long time enjoying my X3, I decide to get a new one for my Cowon D2.
3000smile.gif

I DO love the hiphop,rap,r&n
icon10.gif
So, sick of classical or jazz
blink.gif

My budget varies around 200$, poor me
confused.gif

My choices ares:

UE Super.Fi 5 EB (my intended choice)
Altec Lansing IM716s (really don't know about it much
biggrin.gif
)
Etymotic ER6i
Jays q-Jays
Shure SE310

I do no use amp
biggrin.gif

Has anyone tried all of them or any them, plz give me some advice
biggrin.gif

Thnx a lot
3000smile.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 21
Denon AH-C700, Super-Fi 5Pro and Shure SE310 are good.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 21
you like bass I'm assuming from your genres so I'll go ahead and say stick wiht the Super.fi 5 EB's or get something that's similar in bass response.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 21
I'm thinking the Super.fi 5 Pro's or EB's, but which model of Jays are you speaking of?

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 21
do not get iM716s ... i cannot stress this enough. Altec Lansing no longer sells replacement filters for the buds, which go bad after some time depending on your ear cleanliness, and you will not find filters for them anywhere else. Therefore, they eventually become trash and you throw them out or sell them to someone who stocked up on filters.

If you search the forum on im716 and filters, you will find more information on it, but in short... anything but the im716s.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 21
Well the IM716 won't have the bass you're looking for either, I recommend the Atrios or the Superfi 5 pro....EB might be a bit too much IMO

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do not get iM716s ... i cannot stress this enough. Altec Lansing no longer sells replacement filters for the buds, which go bad after some time depending on your ear cleanliness, and you will not find filters for them anywhere else. Therefore, they eventually become trash and you throw them out or sell them to someone who stocked up on filters.

If you search the forum on im716 and filters, you will find more information on it, but in short... anything but the im716s.

There was a thread about this...the Etymotic ER-4P/S/B filters fit the im716's.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a thread about this...the Etymotic ER-4P/S/B filters fit the im716's.

I also read several threads from individuals claiming those filters did not fit the im716's... i really never found the exact answer as everyone seemed to believe something different. In short, it became a pain in the ass which is not what you're looking for from a pair of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ighlight=im716

Here ety customer service and several posters have verified which filter and tips work on the Altec Lansing IM716.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 21
I just got my super.fi 5 pros. (I had some er-6i's before but they kept breaking at the plug and I was tired of constantly resoldering them). At first, I was disappointed with the super.fi's. The bass seemed overpowering (I had er-6i's so I was used to very weak bass). The bass is quite booming but still a bit detailed. The highs were missing. The detail wasn't as good it seemed like. That was before I boosted the treble (which is wierd because I have never used treble boost ever in my life, always bass boost). After the treble boost, the highs were great. It felt a lot more detailed and the bass was not overpowering. The treble sounds pretty good, and I really don't understand why they rolled it off. The huge thing is that the super.fi's have a great soundscape for an IEM. The er-6i are very much in your head but the super.fi's you can tell that there is a soundscape.

Overall I enjoy the super.fi's very much. And it's only been one day at that. I hear that ultimate ear has a great customer service. That combined with the great bass the super.fis give should make these IEMs at least a consideration.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 21
Speaking of which, how would the E500s compare to the list above? I have similar tastes to the OP and would consider the same range, except you can find the E530s now for $250 which isn't THAT much of a stretch more if they are definitely better...

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, how would the E500s compare to the list above? I have similar tastes to the OP and would consider the same range, except you can find the E530s now for $250 which isn't THAT much of a stretch more if they are definitely better...

i can only speak for the iM716's, and can seriously say the E500s blow them away in every aspect. Clarity, bass range and impact, better highs and mids... everything I can remember from when I had both at the same time, the E500 beat them out on, and they're 100x more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back