Need advice for new iem,upgrading from im616
Apr 8, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

civictyper16

New Head-Fier
Hey guys it's finally time to upgrade my altec 616.Looking for something decent around 80$. I would like monitors that I can bring to the gym, as well offer good isolation. The thing I hated most of the 616 is they only sounded good with foams,which were to much of a hassle to maintain and to costly to replace.
I listen to pretty much all types of music. Thanks for the help.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 6
What kind of sound do you like? Coming from the altecs, I'd say Etys might be a good choice for you.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 6
I just upgraded from my iM616 to the Ety HF5. However, I don't use them at the gym or for exercising in the basement. I got them when they were on sale at Amazon for $99. The purchase was well worth it. I also prefer the Ety gray medium foamies, but have found that the small triple flange tips that came with them are quick to insert and have great noise isolation. The standard size triple flange that I had used on the 616 were uncomfortable and took longer to insert than the small triple flange. The foam still have somewhat better SQ than the small triple flange, but not by much. I use the small triple flange on the 616 and still use them when I might have to take them out and reinsert. Another advantage of the small triple flange is that they insert deeper into the ear so that the earphone doesn't stick out as far. Even though they are deeper, they are still comfortable for me.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 6
The triple flanges on the 616 were really bothersome I guess using the small would of gave me better sq.Do you have any other recommendations in my price range. Seems the ety's are a good choice, but I'll have to wait for a price drop. How good is the bass on the ety's with the flanges. I don't need a lot of bass but the 616 didn't have any with flanges.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 6
I get more bass using the foam tips. It all depends on the fit and seal of the tips in your ears. Everyone's ears are different, so what works for me might be wrong for someone else. For instance, I have not been able to find a tip that gets a good seal on my wife's ears with the iM616. The HF5 have more bass then the iM616, but are certainly not bass heavy. They are very detailed for the classical, jazz and new age that I use them to listen to. For a little more lively music, I sometimes like my CK7 a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back