Need advice for fitting E2C's
Feb 27, 2006 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LGM

New Head-Fier
I bought the Shure E2C's a couple of years ago, but they only came with the clear flex buds and the orange foam tips and neither of them in the small size were small enough to fit my ears comfortably. So I just put these away and never listened to them.

In doing research, I find that I have other options, namely the soft-flex black tips for either the E2C's -OR- the soft-flex tips (PA758) made for the E3 and E5 which I read will fit. Before I spend money, can anyone tell me if:

1) These soft flex tips are significantly more flexible and easier to insert than the clear flex tips that originally came with my E2's? If not, I will be wasting my money getting them. Is the size small in these soft flex tips as small as the size small buds for Sony Ex-71s which I can wear with no problem?

2) Are the soft flex tips for the E3 smaller on the outside than the soft flex tips for the E2? If so, I will be much better off ordering those. The Shure website says that the small soft-flex tips for the E3 (PA758) will fit on the E2.

Are there any other solutions for fitting the E2C into my small ear canals? If I can't fit these, I will have to sell them on eBay but I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 7
The E2C's are known to have larger nozzles than most IEM's; if you tried to insert your small foam sleeves correctly (like earplugs) but still couldn't succeed, it's probably the nozzle itself that's causing the problems. I can't really comment on the problem, as I have vast ear canals (I can pop the large foams and soft flexes into my ears), but the small soft flex tips are much softer and more flexible than the clear tips and correspond (if I remember) to the medium-size Sony tips.

If the tips don't work, then try buying the Shure E2G, which has a smaller nozzle, or take the opportunity to buy another IEM. I have the E2C, which sounds great IMO, but most of the real Head-Fiers around here always recommend the Er-6i, super.fi 3, or UM-1 over these.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff
... but the small soft flex tips are much softer and more flexible than the clear tips and correspond (if I remember) to the medium-size Sony tips.

That's not good news. But are you talking about the soft flex tips specifically made for the E2C's? If so, the small size soft flex tips for the E3C might be smaller and more comparable to the small size Sony buds. That's what I'm hoping for. Anyone know?

Quote:

If the tips don't work, then try buying the Shure E2G, which has a smaller nozzle, or take the opportunity to buy another IEM. I have the E2C, which sounds great IMO, but most of the real Head-Fiers around here always recommend the Er-6i, super.fi 3, or UM-1 over these.

I really want to make the E2c's work if at all possible. Supposedly the Er-6i lacks the bass the E2C's have and I like generous bass.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 7
e2c has a different stalk diameter than the other Shure's, so the tips for the other models will not fit.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the e2g does NOT have a different size stalk. Sugarfriend (Shure rep) has stated that the g-series is identical to the older Shure models (besides color).

That being said, the new black tips are much softer than the clears, and may be just what you're looking for.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use the E3 tips on the your E2c's - the nozzle on the E2c is quite large, whereas the pictures of the E3's show their nozzles to be quite a bit smaller. I also doubt that there's any size difference between the different types of tips.

The small black flex tips are definitely a bit smaller than the small clear flex tips as well as the small orange foamies. As long as the small clear flex tips aren't too much bigger than you need, I'd imagine that the small black flex tips would be a good fit. They are definitely more comfortable than the clear flex tips.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
e2c has a different stalk diameter than the other Shure's, so the tips for the other models will not fit.

Yes, I am aware of the fatter stalk. But I saw some posts about using the small E3C soft-flexs for the e2C and I checked it out on the Shure website to see if they said anything about it. And sure enough (no pun intended), here's what they say in their FAQs:

Quote:

Question: Are sleeves from other E-series products compatible with the E2. For example, could i use the Triple-Flange Sleeves on my E2c?

Answer: Generally, no. The shaft of the E2 earphone is considerably larger in diameter than either the E3 or E5 earphones. However, the PA758 soft flex sleeves can usually be stretched to fit the E2.

However, they don't say if the PA758 is actually smaller than the small size soft flex sleeves for the E2C. If it is, that's what I need. If not, it's pointless for me to order them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back