Need advice for Amp Build (CMOY OR >?)
Jul 11, 2007 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Modular

100+ Head-Fier
I know there are many of these threads, but I have searched and none were a big help.

I'm looking to build my first headphone amp. I'm sure that I could build the CMOY with no problem at all and was thinking that even though I have a decent amount of experience, it might be a good place to start. My concern is that I will be disappointed with its sound. I currently use an X-Fi Xtremegamer card (great deal from Newegg) and would want the amp to improve on the sound cards musicality, particularly in the warmth of tones area.

So I have 3 questions I suppose:

1. Can a CMOY amp drastically improve the SQ of an X-Fi card?
2. What is the next step after a CMOY?
3. Given my level of experience, would it be better to invest the $$ I would spend building a CMOY into the next level of headphone amplification?

I have a decent electronics background, including soldering and basic digital/analogue circuit design experience from college. I have built several "kits" for fun like color organs, strobe lights, etc. and have modified stupid things like bubble lights to make them dim when shut off
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 4
1. Not 'drastically'.
2. Hm... Mini^3 or a Pimeta
3. If you know to solder, I'd say go directly to the next step

The Mini^3 is a portable amp, using the AD8397 opamp - it's an opamp with a buffer already integrated. The Pimeta could be either configured as low current portable amp, or it can maxed out as a home amp

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Nice amps Vixr.

I'm wondering how much I can expect to spend on the M3 amp with power supply and all parts (including the case I suppose). Will it be offered as a complete kit at some point that just requires soldering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back