Need Advice for a major Headphone Upgrade
Mar 29, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #46 of 57
I just played a match of BF1 and that really reveals the difference in dynamics. The DT1770 is really a perfect gaming headphone. The explosions are a lot more fierce and footsteps seem to be audible a bit better. A real pity it has that peak around 500Hz.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #47 of 57
The D7200 have been burning in for about 24hours. First impression is really nice.

They are defenitely easier to the ear than the DT1770. The biggest difference to me seems to be that they don't have that uncomfortable peak around 500hz (according to my EQ testing). With the DT1770 it can be quite unpleasant, for example listening to "Easy - Don't hurt" from Ike Quebec, or "Loie (Rudy van Gelder Edition 2007 Remastered)" (at 02:15 for example). I can lessen that a bit by using the EQ to reduce the 500Hz range by 5dB but it still sounds better on the D7200.

On the other hand, the DT1770 has more aggressive dynamics and detail when playing something like Prodigy "Smack my bitch up". Not only that the bass has more impact, if you listen to the part at 01:45 to 02:10 for example, that certain sound there, is being reproduced in a more vibrant and cleaner way, especiall at higher volume.

Overall I would say the D7200 wins, because this peak at 500Hz is kind of tiresome to my ears. The only realy gripe I got with the D7200 is the headband. There seems to be some sort of flexible joint in it's middle. When putting on the headphone (need to use maximum extension for my headsize), that joint gets bend a bit which causes the headphones weight to rest on a rather small spot on my head, which feels a tad uncomfortable. Maybe I get used to it, but at the moment it seems a bit unpleasant for longer sessions. I really wonder why they wouldn't make it softer!?!

One thing that does worry me on the D7200 is also, how the earpads will do in the long run. I used my HFI780 a lot in summer, and the faux leather became all hard and crumbled in some spots. I suppose same will happen here, or is there a way to prevent that?

Nice review! Give them more time and the bass comes out just a little more and soundstage gets a little larger. I don't know about the pads longevity, but they're replaceable so it's no big deal.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #48 of 57
Nice review! Give them more time and the bass comes out just a little more and soundstage gets a little larger. I don't know about the pads longevity, but they're replaceable so it's no big deal.

Thanks! You are right, they do already sound a bit more open now than the DT1770, more airy. How does the stage compare to the 1540?

Btw I found good offers for the Focal Elear and the 1540 at reduced prices (both opened B-Ware with full waranty and possibility to return them), so I told myself, heck why not. I will test them too and keep the winner, lol
L3000.gif
. Not buying a headphone very often. An open headphone is something I always considered but never tried. So let's see what the Elear has to offer. And the if the 1540 is really as good as everyone claims, at that price who knows, he might even take the crown
dt880smile.png

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #49 of 57
Thanks! You are right, they do already sound a bit more open now than the DT1770, more airy. How does the stage compare to the 1540?

Btw I found good offers for the Focal Elear and the 1540 at reduced prices (both opened B-Ware with full waranty and possibility to return them), so I told myself, heck why not. I will test them too and keep the winner, lol :L3000: . Not buying a headphone very often. An open headphone is something I always considered but never tried. So let's see what the Elear has to offer. And the if the 1540 is really as good as everyone claims, at that price who knows, he might even take the crown :dt880smile:

1540's are great. I've never heard the Elear.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #50 of 57
1540's are great. I've never heard the Elear.

They both (Shure SRH1540 and Focal Elear) arrived this morning. Seems they are burned in already, at least both sound great. I think I'm in love, lol. Actually with both.

The 1540 has a tad too much bass, but that's not realy a problem. Especially at low volumes it sounds really nice. At higher volumes it can become too much, but I usually don't listen that loud anyway. In fact I think the 1540 is a bit better suited for me as an allround headphone, than the D7200. It is much more comfortable (I still have trouble with the Denon, it kinda bothers and I have to move the headband to a different spot regularely). And it seems that it does have a tad more snappy dynamics too, compared to the Denon. The Denon would be my first choice for Bossa Nova, Rock and similar, while the 1540 is ahead with EDM (at this point, dont know if the D7200 still changes. It has 50 hours now roughly.)

So the 1540 is my second favorite out of the bunch.

That brings me to the Focal Elear. Hell, I love it, lol. It's like a cross between the DT1770 and the D7200, combining the strength of both. Plus it's super comfortable, even more than the 1540. And to my taste it also looks and feels great. The sound is for my understanding simply amazing. Very balanced and powerful. I don't find anything that bothers me. It does make a strange sound when there is too much bass at high volume, but that seems to be normal. I took the 1540 to the maximum bass it could deliver and compared it to the Elear, and my ears started to tickle before the cracking sounds started. It can clearly deliver more bass than the 1540, if wanted.

I can't really say much about how much stage the Elear got, as I always had closed headphones or In-Ears. Definitely has more than the closed headphones. Obviously. I love it. And I was even able to convince my girlfriend that it is the best of the bunch, even though it is an open headphone :wink:

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #52 of 57
They both (Shure SRH1540 and Focal Elear) arrived this morning. Seems they are burned in already, at least both sound great. I think I'm in love, lol. Actually with both.

The 1540 has a tad too much bass, but that's not realy a problem. Especially at low volumes it sounds really nice. At higher volumes it can become too much, but I usually don't listen that loud anyway. In fact I think the 1540 is a bit better suited for me as an allround headphone, than the D7200. It is much more comfortable (I still have trouble with the Denon, it kinda bothers and I have to move the headband to a different spot regularely). And it seems that it does have a tad more snappy dynamics too, compared to the Denon. The Denon would be my first choice for Bossa Nova, Rock and similar, while the 1540 is ahead with EDM (at this point, dont know if the D7200 still changes. It has 50 hours now roughly.)

So the 1540 is my second favorite out of the bunch.

That brings me to the Focal Elear. Hell, I love it, lol. It's like a cross between the DT1770 and the D7200, combining the strength of both. Plus it's super comfortable, even more than the 1540. And to my taste it also looks and feels great. The sound is for my understanding simply amazing. Very balanced and powerful. I don't find anything that bothers me. It does make a strange sound when there is too much bass at high volume, but that seems to be normal. I took the 1540 to the maximum bass it could deliver and compared it to the Elear, and my ears started to tickle before the cracking sounds started. It can clearly deliver more bass than the 1540, if wanted.

I can't really say much about how much stage the Elear got, as I always had closed headphones or In-Ears. Definitely has more than the closed headphones. Obviously. I love it. And I was even able to convince my girlfriend that it is the best of the bunch, even though it is an open headphone :wink:

So are you going to keep the Elears and return the others?

My problem is that I have to have closed back headphones. Open headphones are too much of a nuisance. They let in too much noise and let out too much noise.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #53 of 57
So are you going to keep the Elears and return the others?

My problem is that I have to have closed back headphones. Open headphones are too much of a nuisance. They let in too much noise and let out too much noise.

Yes, that's the plan. I am still amazed at the sound of those. Did not expect that an open headphone can sound like that. Always thought there must be a big penalty to impact.

I always prefered closed ones too, as my PC was quite noisy and I got the window open a lot. I compared though with music off, switching between the phones and the difference was not that big. My PC is quite silenced nowadays too. GPU still audible as the R9 390s produce a ton of heat, but planning to change that one too, when Vega comes out. With music turned on it was even less of a difference. It depens on how much noise there is I suppose, for me the open phone is fine. My girlfriend says there is more noise now coming from the phones, but she will survive :wink:

The isolation on those headphones seems to be quite a tad less than on my IE8 anyway. So if needed I can still use those at times.

Also, somehow I got the feeling as if open headphones do less harm to your ear, aside from the actual dB. Is that imagination or could there be some truth in it?

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #54 of 57
Yes, that's the plan. I am still amazed at the sound of those. Did not expect that an open headphone can sound like that. Always thought there must be a big penalty to impact.

I always prefered closed ones too, as my PC was quite noisy and I got the window open a lot. I compared though with music off, switching between the phones and the difference was not that big. My PC is quite silenced nowadays too. GPU still audible as the R9 390s produce a ton of heat, but planning to change that one too, when Vega comes out. With music turned on it was even less of a difference. It depens on how much noise there is I suppose, for me the open phone is fine. My girlfriend says there is more noise now coming from the phones, but she will survive :wink:

The isolation on those headphones seems to be quite a tad less than on my IE8 anyway. So if needed I can still use those at times.

Also, somehow I got the feeling as if open headphones do less harm to your ear, aside from the actual dB. Is that imagination or could there be some truth in it?

I don't think open or closed makes much of a difference. How loud you listen is the main factor for hearing loss. Congrats on the Elear.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #55 of 57
Thanks :) I did get some doubts (because of the price, never spent that much on a headphone before), so I did some more comparing and reasoning. The DT1770 which I compared again, suprisingly did not have that annoying tone around the 500Hz area anymore. Maybe due to burnin? I had it run some more. Still, when I compared it to the Elear, it utterly failed. It became extremely obvious listening to Infected Mushroom "Saeed". The part from 1:00 to 1:30 for example, even a half deaf person could not argue about it.

The Shure SRH1540 does really well on EDM, but there is quite a bit of stuff he can handle only at very low volume without EQing the bass down. Still, I added it to my pricewatch app, if it ever gets sold for half price, I'm on it :wink:

The Denon D7200 would definitely be an option. The bass tigthened up a good bit. Very nice to listen to and very nice design. But that damn joint in the headband unfortunately ruins it for me. When I do wear a headphone, it's usually for 5+ hours in a row and I already start moving the headband around after half an hour.

Kinda lucky though that I found the Elear for almost same price as the Denon. It is a tad more noise sensitive (as it is an open headphone), but the sound is quite amazing. It's pretty heavy too, by far the heaviest of the bunch, but in fact I don't really feel that I'm wearing it. Super comfortable. And the bass as as dynamic as on the DT1770, the sound feels super clear and I was not able to find anything that doesn't sound great on it, including the tracks where the DT1770 or the SRH1540 failed.

I think I will give the Chord Mojo a try and see if it can beat the Soundblaster Z. The Marantz CAD1 wasn't able to. There might have been the tiniest difference when being connected via 192khz usb. But I suspect it would only really show if I had some DSD or similar sources, that are higher than the 96khz the soundblaster is capable of.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #56 of 57
I don't think open or closed makes much of a difference. How loud you listen is the main factor for hearing loss. Congrats on the Elear.

The decision for the Elear is final now, I sent the other cans back and wrote a review on the Elear here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/focal-elear/reviews/18342

Tomorrow the Chord Mojo should arrive. That should be interesting. I hope it is an upgrade. Still have the Ifi Micro Ican SE here too, so I can hook both of them up as the Mojo's strong point is said to be it's DAC section.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #57 of 57
The decision for the Elear is final now, I sent the other cans back and wrote a review on the Elear here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/focal-elear/reviews/18342

Tomorrow the Chord Mojo should arrive. That should be interesting. I hope it is an upgrade. Still have the Ifi Micro Ican SE here too, so I can hook both of them up as the Mojo's strong point is said to be it's DAC section.

Nice review! Glad you found what you were looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back