Need advice for a IEM for around 300 dollars.
Dec 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wildcat13

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.This is my first post here so i was wandering if you could help me.
I am looking for a pair of in ear speakers for about 300 dollars.(+/- 50 dollars)

I looked at the sony xba-3 but i was disappointed.(I had tested the xba-1 which broke in 9 days and had a horrible sound)
I also listened to a pair of Beats by Dre but i found their sound to be muffled and really distorted.

So, I need a pair of IEMs that will :

- Have a good balanced sound.
- Have good noise isolation 
- Work with my iPhone and iPod
- Have a good robust construction.
​- Will be comfortable.
- Will be stylish (not mandatory. I prefer sound quality over looks)

I am currently considering the Turbine Pro Gold and Bowers and Wilkins C5.(leaning towards the turbines)

If you know a model please do not hesitate to post it because I really need a second opinion.

Regards,
   Wildcat 13.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 5
The C5 do neither provide a balanced sound, nor are they worth the price tag in my opinion.

I haven't heard the Turbine Pro Gold myself, but they appear to be rather v-shaped than balanced.

If you're looking for a bit of well extended, boosted bass and a warm sound, I can recoomend you the Westone Um3X - the soundstage is only average though and the highs are fairly relaxed. But all in all it provides a fairly lush and comfortable sound.

As for actually balanced, you might wanna look at the In Ear Stagediver SD-2

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you sir.After a bit of research i found out that the C5 is not for me.As you said they aren't worth it. The Um3x is a little out of my budget too.
Sorry for my way of expressing.By balanced sound i meant a pair that will have both bass and treble.
Taking a look at the sd-2 they appear to sound good but are over 500 euros in my country and don't even come with free shipping.
Thank you for your time kind sir.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Balanced means equal bass, midrange, and treble. The headphones you have looked at so far are V shaped or bass and treble enhanced. I suggest taking a read through Jokers comprehensive IEM thread, you can focus on his list starting at $150 to reduce how much your reading. It will give you insight into all of the major headphones in your price range and help you understand what makes each pair different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back