Need advice, dedicated CD or DAC?
Jan 19, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnlvx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herandu, what is your problem? This guy had a question and I tried to offer some insight. I am not an expert on DAC chips but evidently you are. How does it help the poster to troll the thread and start an argument over the semantics of my ideas?

Furthermore, I wouldnt waste your energy feeling sorry for me because I could really care less about what you feel sorry about. I also doubt that any designers really care about my comments either. I'd appreciate it if you'd quit being so belligerant and stick to the questions at hand and try to help the person who had the question. You also might want to direct your aggression elsewhere because I'm not playing your game.

Thanks

My point is that the information you supplied is false, misleading and includes such information about the cost of one of the many components required to make a product. What has that got to do with the choice of a product? Absolutely none whatsoever. Without trying to plug my own personal choice of DAC, the TC-7510, I am using it as an example where your price comparison of components is way off line. The TC-7510 uses a chip set found in some VERY expensive gear. But the TC-7510 is sold at such a ridiculously low price few bother to take it serious. Only those who have bought one are then impressed by its capability. No doubt the chipset is what does it, but the retail price doesn't.
Similarly, there are VERY expensive DAC units out there that use VERY CHEAP chipsets. That blows your assumption masquerading as advise out of the water. So unless you are a designer who actually has to use components to design a commercial product don't enter the domain of component prices for comparison to give others advise. People are after quality of sound, and how much the total package costs, not how much one component in the unit costs.

Jan 19, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That blows your assumption masquerading as advise out of the water. So unless you are a designer who actually has to use components to design a commercial product don't enter the domain of component prices for comparison to give others advise.

Herandu, your aggressive and accusatory tone is completely unwelcome here. It is also not proper etiquette to bark orders at other forum members and try to place limits on what they can or cant post now or in the future. The truth is that both of our viewpoints are in err. But thats what this is, a forum, a place where people share ideas in an attempt to create an environment of support surrounding a certain subject matter. I can think of a few other ways that you could have contributed your thoughts in a constructive manner but instead all we are getting here are the reactions of an ego that has somehow been damaged by another persons idea.

I am not going to respond to this thread anymore.

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My point is that the information you supplied is false, misleading.. People are after quality of sound, and how much the total package costs, not how much one component in the unit costs.

Why don't you sit next couple of plays out, and let this go. Your input is as questionable as your tone and posts towards others here. I have read the comments and followed this thread for a bit now..and it is your information that is not only opinionated but nearly as uninformed as is lacking couth.

Many here are interested in discussing HiFi with a constructive like interest, and not in an accusatory form of trolling as your posts read. You are right about people caring for sound and its quality, but disagree for the most part with your comment on the total package cost VS how much one component in the unit costs. Modifications, upgrades, and various tweeks take a stock product or component and turn it into a synergistic element matching into a given system. In very many cases, individual components, their internal material build, and the changing out of these parts is an extended form of research and interest level to the listener. The total package cost is important too in the long run, but this sum can be very misleading and hard to predict; often is difficult to put a thumb point on which gear you will ultimately end up with in my experience.

The road of HiFi is filled with twists, turns, and swapping out of various front ends, amps, IC's, Power Cables, format of playback preference, etc for many here..and perhaps your posts could be a bit more open minded or at least helpful, no offense intended here..

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 28
From the discussion I can conclude that it would be better to get a Cd player than a stand alone DAC, because it does matter what the sound source is and my optical sound source(Sony DVP-NS75H) is not good enough. For my price range the Marantz is a good choice. Is this correct?

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you sit next couple of plays out, and let this go. Your input is as questionable as your tone and posts towards others here. I have read the comments and followed this thread for a bit now..and it is your information that is not only opinionated but nearly as uninformed as is lacking couth.

Many here are interested in discussing HiFi with a constructive like interest, and not in an accusatory form of trolling as your posts read. You are right about people caring for sound and its quality, but disagree for the most part with your comment on the total package cost VS how much one component in the unit costs. Modifications, upgrades, and various tweeks take a stock product or component and turn it into a synergistic element matching into a given system. In very many cases, individual components, their internal material build, and the changing out of these parts is an extended form of research and interest level to the listener. The total package cost is important too in the long run, but this sum can be very misleading and hard to predict; often is difficult to put a thumb point on which gear you will ultimately end up with in my experience.

The road of HiFi is filled with twists, turns, and swapping out of various front ends, amps, IC's, Power Cables, format of playback preference, etc for many here..and perhaps your posts could be a bit more open minded or at least helpful, no offense intended here..

It is clear that you sure didn't read properly what I pointed out. Namely that we should NOT descend on putting the cost of say the DAC chip as THE critical component that makes up the luscious sound we all seek. You point out yourself that tweaks etc can also improve things. Now, if that say U$5.00 DAC chip is so fantastic that it makes a particular purchase so worthwhile, why tweak? And that is because that fantastic chip is no good on its own. So putting so much emphasis on it is just talking up nonsense.

As far as your comments with regards to my tone and posts are concerned: would you prefer if I crawled and agreed with something written when it is blatantly false advise to any newbee seeking nirvana? If you have a problem with that PM me, but don't try to talk down on me as if you know more than I do, or are an expert of outstanding credentials. I know I am gifted, with many commercial products incorporating components designed by me sold all around the world. So I am not talking from guesses, but from actual design experience and commercial success. I say it as it is. Forking out hard earned cash on the basis of guesses and sweet talks by the uninformed doesn't help
anyone seeking sensible advise. OK?

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 28
Can't you guys just chill out? Go listen to some music or something. Isn't that what we're all here for? Head-fi's becoming a very hostile place.

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 28
The DAC vs. CDP debate is one that has gone on in my head for a while. I currently use an external DAC and mainly listen to flac files on my computer, which is all good, but I am interesting in hearing what a DAC in a really great high end CDP would sound like in comparison to flac files through the Stello, i.e. like the Rega Apollo or Saturn, or countless others whose names I don't know.

I do have one of those inexpensive scd-ce595's that I use occasionally, but only as a transport.

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #25 of 28
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #26 of 28
it depends on quality..a dedicated dac can be better then a cdp, a cdp can be better then a dedicated dac...al is relative to the quality of components used...in the end, both can be as good...and the final results will come from YOUR ears...

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #27 of 28
But as the article I posted points out a computer source has a lot less jitter than cdp. A computer source with decent quality external DAC is superior to cdp for that reason alone.

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #28 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back