Need advice connecting PC to Onkyo 7.1 HT setup
Jan 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Snipe?Star

New Head-Fier
so i have a computer i use for lots of gaming, tons of listening to music, and watching tv shows/movies. my computer specs are as follows:

Code:

Code:
[left]Core i7 920 D0 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution (capable of 8 channel HD audio) 3× 2GB GTX 285 @ true 16x/16x/16x 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600DDR3 2× 300GB Velociraptors/2× 1TB WD RE3 (Both seperate RAID0 arrays) 8x Blu-Ray Burner/Reader Corsair HX1000W Silverstone Ravern RV01 LG Flatron W3000H @ 2650x1600[/left]

i recently got tired of the 2.1 sony bookshelf stereo i was using as my computer speakers, and i got the onkyo s6200 7.1 home theater setup.

right now its connected from my motherboard's optical out via toslink to my reciever, but im not sure if im getting proper surround when i play games. i was trying to connect to the receiver via HDMI, which requires me to use one of the DVI->HDMI dongle that came with each of my cards (which does transfer the audio) and then using an HDMI cable from the adapter to the receiver (im unaware of any straignt DVI->HDMI cables that transfer audio, without using an adapter). I then had a DVI->HDMI cable to transfer the video to my monitor.

this works fine and gravy for the audio except for one huge problem i have-- my receiver apparently only outputs in TV resolutions, so it forces my beautiful 30" monitor to display in 1920 x 1080 or whatever hideous resolution TVs display in. YUCK!

well, with my 285s having 2 DVI outputs, i said- OK, i'll try something different. i left the HDMI cable from the reciever to the DVI adapter on the card, and i ran a straight DVI cable to the monitor from the other output on the card.

this caused windows to detect the receiver as a second display. but what it does, is it forces the receiver as the primary display, and it forces my monitor as the second display. so all i can see on my monitor is an extenuation of the desktop's picture-- but the icons and start menus are all on the "1st display". so i moved the mouse to the left until it was visible on the monitor, then i opened the control panel.

now, when i set the monitor as the primary display, is it makes my monitor display as normal, but it just disables the secondary display (reciever) so the sound goes away.

in the windows options, with multiple displays, you have a couple different options about how you can display to the different displays. you can clone the same image on each display- when you do that, it enables both displays, and the sound works-- but it still forces my monitor to output in the other resolution.

the other option is that you can extend the image over both displays-- but when i have this option enabled, it forces the receiver as the primary and although my monitor will output in its native resolution, with working hdmi sound, the monitor is still just a stretch of the desktop image with no actual desktop on it.

but like i mentioned, if i choose to only output the desktop to the display the monitor is set as, then it just disables the receiver.

this is forcing me to look into getting a dedicated soundcard, but im clueless really, i really focus my interests into the other aspects of computer hardware.

id like to get a nice x-fi card, they come with EAX and some other neat features, but id read that a lot of them (and a lot of sounds in general) dont (properly?) decode surround over optical (as s/pdif is natively stereo) (i think you need some AC decoder to transfer surround over optical, not sure though) so im looking for a solution with HDMI out, as its the best quality sound you can get anyway and it has the bandwidth to properly transfer uncompressed surround signals

i am preemptively thankful for any help, thoughts, or suggestions.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 9
If your connected through digital to the receiver, you need to have an encoder on your card. Such as the Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect.
As for your video issue, can you not use two outputs set for mirror, one to goto the display and the other to go to the receiver? Allowing you to set whatever resolution you want?
Do you have 7.1 discrete analog inputs on this receiver? I would try those if you have them.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your connected through digital to the receiver, you need to have an encoder on your card. Such as the Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect.
As for your video issue, can you not use two outputs set for mirror, one to goto the display and the other to go to the receiver? Allowing you to set whatever resolution you want?
Do you have 7.1 discrete analog inputs on this receiver? I would try those if you have them.

well i know my motherboard supports 7.1 hd audio, it has the 3.5mm analogs out for it but my receiver does NOT use those. i have to use digital.

and when i have it set to mirror the displays, it outputs in 1920 x 1200-- it will not allow me to select any higher resolutions.

also, i have HDMI enabled as the default playback, but when i go into it's properties, it only allows stereo-- it says that the max channels available are 2. this defeats the purpose of bothering with it, and just using the optical.

so does this definitely mean i need an internal sound card?? i want to get real working surround to use. the receiver i have is really good i just need a good sound card to match it. i would like one with hdmi out, and features like EAX are a plus. and about that, does creative own the rights to EAX?? im not even exactly sure what eax is, i have heard it does help to enhance games though.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 9
The only card that has the HDMI features and the EAX/OpenAL gaming features you want is the Auzentech Home Theater HD 7.1.
Does you receiver, process DolbyTrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HDMA?

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only card that has the HDMI features and the EAX/OpenAL gaming features you want is the Auzentech Home Theater HD 7.1.
Does you receiver, process DolbyTrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HDMA?

my receiver is pretty damn good i thinks, here is the specs for it:

Code:

Code:
[left]HT-R670[/left]

Code:

Code:
[left][font=GillSans-Light]7.1-Channel A/V Surround Home Theater Receiver[/font] [font=GillSans]• 130 Watts/Channel at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA[/font] [font=GillSans]• DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™,[/font] [font=GillSans] DTS-HD Express, Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus,[/font] [font=GillSans] Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz Decoding[/font] [font=GillSans]• HDMI™ Version 1.3a to Support Deep Color™, x.v.Color™,[/font] [font=GillSans] LipSync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DVDAudio,[/font] [font=GillSans] Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and [/font][font=GillSans]CEC[/font] [font=GillSans]• HDMI Audio and Video Processing (1080p; 4 Inputs and[/font] [font=GillSans] 1 Output)[/font] [font=GillSans]• Audyssey 2EQ™ to Correct Room Acoustic Problems[/font] [font=GillSans]• Audyssey Dynamic Volume™ to Maintain Optimal Listening[/font] [font=GillSans] Level and [/font][font=GillSans]Dynamic[/font][font=GillSans]Range[/font] [font=GillSans]• Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ for Loudness Correction[/font] [font=GillSans]• Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 Line-Out for Playback in[/font] [font=GillSans] Another Room (Separate Source)[/font] [font=GillSans]• Bi-Amping Capability[/font] [font=GillSans]• [/font][font=GillSans]Universal[/font][font=GillSans]Port[/font][font=GillSans] for Single-Cable Connection of UP-A1 Dock (optional)[/font] [font=GillSans] for the iPod or Optional Onkyo [/font][font=GillSans]DAB[/font][font=GillSans]+ Radio Tuner[/font] [font=GillSans]• 4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role[/font] [font=GillSans] Playing Game (RPG)[/font] [font=GillSans]• H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High[/font] [font=GillSans] Power Transformer[/font] [font=GillSans]• 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels[/font] [font=GillSans]• Advanced 32-Bit Processing DSP Chip[/font] [font=GillSans]• [/font][font=GillSans]HDTV[/font][font=GillSans]-Capable Component Video Switching[/font] [font=GillSans] (2 Inputs and 1 Output)[/font] [font=GillSans]• 4 Digital Inputs (2 Optical and 2 Coaxial)[/font] [font=GillSans]• 4 A/V Inputs and 1 Output[/font] [font=GillSans]• Video Output (Monitor)[/font] [font=GillSans]• 2 Audio Inputs and 1 Output[/font] [font=GillSans]• Front-Panel Audio Input for Portable Devices[/font] [font=GillSans]• Front-Panel Auxiliary A/V Input (for Camcorders, Game[/font] [font=GillSans] Consoles, etc.)[/font] [font=GillSans]• Optimum Gain Volume Control Circuitry[/font] [font=GillSans]• WRAT ([/font][font=GillSans]Wide[/font][font=GillSans]Range[/font][font=GillSans] Amplifier Technology)[/font] [font=GillSans]• Music Optimizer™ for Compressed Digital Music Files[/font] [font=GillSans]• Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function[/font] [font=GillSans]• CinemaFILTER™[/font] [font=GillSans]• RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) for System Control[/font] [font=GillSans]• A-Form Listening Mode Memory[/font] [font=GillSans]• Non-Scaling Configuration[/font] [font=GillSans]• Double Bass Function[/font] [font=GillSans]• Direct Mode[/font] [font=GillSans]• Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)[/font] [font=GillSans]• A/V Sync Control Function (Up to 100 ms in 20 ms Steps)[/font] [font=GillSans]• Subwoofer Pre Out[/font] [font=GillSans]• Banana Plug-Compatible Speaker Posts (Except Zone 2)[/font] [font=GillSans]• 40 FM/AM Radio Presets[/font] [font=GillSans]• Compatible with RI (Remote Interactive) Dock for the iPod[/font] [font=GillSans]• Preprogrammed RI Remote Control[/font][/left]

i'd say that covers it. how much is the AZ HT, $240?

also, how does it compare to the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3???

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 9
I found the best solution was to use a VGA to HDMI converter. These USB powered converters always produce a blank HDMI signal which I fed into the HTHD and I connected the output of the HTHD directly to my receiver. This way only my monitors are connected to my GPU and I get full resolution for 2560x1400 and my 120Hz 3D monitor and the receiver handles only audio. (Note that the Onkyo receivers require an active "listener" on their HDMI output in order to function. You could simply plug the HDMI cable into your monitor and leave it unused while using the DVI input.)

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 9
You posted in a thread that has not been used for over three years.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 9
It's still applicable for anyone who wants to connect a PC via HDMI and keep their high res/refresh rate monitor. I've seen this asked over and over again in many forums with no solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back