Need advice concerning slightly warped new vinyl and record clamps.
Oct 3, 2007 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
To my fellow vinylphiles:

Since buying my Rega P7 in early July, I have purchased 2 CDs, 1 DVD-A, and about 100 or more vinyl records. When I have time to listen to music I tend to reach for a record far more often than I reach for a CD.

One thing I am noticing is there are more incidents of slight warpage in new records than I was really expecting. I'm not talking about vintage records that are still sealed. I'm talking about standard current pressings from the likes of The White Stripes and Don Caballero. 180g Audiophile pressings are not immune either. I was a bit stunned when my 180g pressing of Let it Bleed was a bit more than slightly warped.

Now, before legions of vinyl detractors start posting that this is why you don't like vinyl...I don't want to hear from you and I am not interested in your opinion. Start your own thread if you feel the need to go on an anti-vinyl rant.

Out of about 200 records I have observed this problem on perhaps as few as five albums. So it is not a huge problem. If I can spend about $50 or so on a clamp to help with this occasional issue then that is what I want to do. But blowing wads of cash for $300 record mats and $500 clamps just ain't in the cards, so more down to earth suggestions are welcome. With all that said, I was wondering if a record clamp would help. My Rega P7 doesn't have a long spindle and I have concerns about putting a big dead weight on my platter.

However, I did find a clamp from J.A. Mitchell that was specifically designed for Rega turntables and only weighs about 70 grams and the price is right, about $60. It literally clamps the record to the platter, according to the literature.

I've checked out Vinyl Asylum and got way too many hits on a search. I don't know anyone there so it is hard to tell whether someone is really trustworthy. Too much noise on that board to be truely helpful. There is not much on Head-Fi on the subject. But I would like to hear opinion on the subject from some of our more knowledgeable members.

Thanks.

--Jerome

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 25
Just ask Rega what they recomend as the main issue is that you don't want to put more weight on the bearing than it's designed to handle.
The Michell one is meant to be pretty good as it grips the spindle but I've never tried it personally.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 25
What I do to solve any warped record problem is to put the warped on under a pile of other records. I 1st start with up to 5 pcs, depending on how bad it is. I add an extra record on top of the pile every day or two. After about two weeks I put it between two pieces of MDF boards for another week or so. Has worked for me. The warp goes away.

I have a clamp as well, but I don't use it to correct for warps. I don't believe it does.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 25
Records often get a slight warp as they are pulled out of the press. It isn't serious. Turntables are designed to cope with a little warp. Sometimes you can cause more problems trying to fix them than it helps. If you are going to collect vinyl, you have to get used to things like that. As the old saying goes, "Only God is perfect."

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 25
I once had the JA Michell clamp and used it on an Ariston with a short spindle...it was useless. Ymmv but I'd say don't waste your money.

The only way we can get the labels to up their QC is if we send back the warped ones!

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 25
I have that Mitchell clamp for my rega P1 and it works like a charm...it has a letter "R" on it, it was designed for the rega turntables. I just got it and it's helping a great deal. I too ntice slight warping with newer records and this helps clamp them down enough to really minimize the warping.

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 25
Thrice,

THAT's the clamp I'm referring to.

BTW, I'm not looking for a miracle...I just want the stylus to track a bit better without so much bobbing up and down.

I also agree with Sarchi up to a point. Better QC might help...but for someone who buys a lot of new vinyl, sending the records back isn't really an option. The amount of time needed to check every record upon arrival alone would exceed the size of the problem. It just isn't worth that kind of effort.

--Jerome

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 25
I used a clamp with my Moth turntable, but it doesn't work with the replacement Rega P5. It did help a little with warped records. On the Rega... I just play the record. If the cartridge doesn't run aground I figure it's OK.

More annoying to me are off-center pressings. I've had to carve out the center hole so I could slide the record to its real center.

Years ago i saw a perimeter clamp/weight. It never became popular, I guess. Seems it would be hard to design such a thing to clear the lead-in groove.

Oct 4, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 25
if you're not getting mistracking or other problems because of the warpage it might be better to just leave it alone and save your money?

I've got some ridiculously warped at the edges vinyl that make the arm move up and down like a roller coaster during play. However, I can play them from beginning to end with no skipping/mistracking so I just leave it as it is.
rs1smile.gif

Besides, I fail to see how a center clamp can help, and the one I saw that goes over the edges is just plain ugly.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a clamp with my Moth turntable, but it doesn't work with the replacement Rega P5. It did help a little with warped records. On the Rega... I just play the record. If the cartridge doesn't run aground I figure it's OK.

More annoying to me are off-center pressings. I've had to carve out the center hole so I could slide the record to its real center.

Years ago i saw a perimeter clamp/weight. It never became popular, I guess. Seems it would be hard to design such a thing to clear the lead-in groove.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttring.html

These kind of things are more popular on idlers and direct drives as most belt drives arn't heavily engineered enough to support much extra mass added to the platter.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also agree with Sarchi up to a point. Better QC might help...but for someone who buys a lot of new vinyl, sending the records back isn't really an option. The amount of time needed to check every record upon arrival alone would exceed the size of the problem. It just isn't worth that kind of effort.

Agreed. I simply don't want to go through the hassle of returning every new vinyl I get that has a slight warp in it.

I too am in the market for a record clamp, and will be getting the KAB threaded record clamp for my 1200 before its over with.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I simply don't want to go through the hassle of returning every new vinyl I get that has a slight warp in it.

Hoo boy! You would have hated the late 70s! I had to return at least two rekkids in every dozen I bought!

Any decent retailer should accept returns for serious warps. I suspect though that this thread is about very minor ones that don't matter at all.

See ya
Steve

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 25
I have a few Records with a little dishing, Im also looking for a "price thats right" record clamp. But it needs to work with a Pro-ject Debut III. Any recommendations for a sort of universal record clamp, (spindle isn't too high on the pro-ject either.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back