Need Advice choosing Headphones
Mar 9, 2017 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ares1307

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for a pair of headphones for music, movies, and gaming. I don't have an amp, but will buy one if I must. Right now I have a Sennheiser Momentum on ear for music on the go and Philips Fidelio X2 for home use music, movies and gaming. I love the X2s, but wish they had more bass. Their sub bass is great, but the higher bass is too reserved. I tried a set of V Moda M100s, but they were too muddy (I guess) and we're missing some of the details of the X2s. The drums in particular sound better with the X2s. Also, my ears were too big for the M100s, I didn't try the XL pads.

I listen to pop, hip hop, rap, rock (80s type rock), and watch action movies. My gaming is mostly casual, but I do play fps often enough to feel the need of a good soundstage and clarity.

I've been considering Beyerdynamic DT990 32ohm, Sony MDR 1A, HE-400i,B&W P7, but am open to suggestions. I was considering Sennheiser Momentum m2 but I doubt my ears will fit. I don't mind opened back or closed back, opened back preferred. And my budget is around $300.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and trying to help me.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm currently looking for a pair of headphones for music, movies, and gaming. I don't have an amp, but will buy one if I must. Right now I have a Sennheiser Momentum on ear for music on the go and Philips Fidelio X2 for home use music, movies and gaming. I love the X2s, but wish they had more bass. Their sub bass is great, but the higher bass is too reserved. I tried a set of V Moda M100s, but they were too muddy (I guess) and we're missing some of the details of the X2s. The drums in particular sound better with the X2s. Also, my ears were too big for the M100s, I didn't try the XL pads.

I listen to pop, hip hop, rap, rock (80s type rock), and watch action movies. My gaming is mostly casual, but I do play fps often enough to feel the need of a good soundstage and clarity.

I've been considering Beyerdynamic DT990 32ohm, Sony MDR 1A, HE-400i,B&W P7, but am open to suggestions. I was considering Sennheiser Momentum m2 but I doubt my ears will fit. I don't mind opened back or closed back, opened back preferred. And my budget is around $300.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and trying to help me.

Are you able to listen to any of these before you buy? Do you have access to amazon where you are?

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 7
You could maybe try adding an amp to the chain with some good power (and maybe a bass boost switch) like the Cayin C5 (good sound with the X1) - then you can use EQ etc.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Sennheiser HD 600 come to mind, or maybe the Ultrasone PRO900 (full disclaimer: they can be *really* bassy if the material calls for it, its devilishly fun with most action games/movies). Of the ones you've listed I've heard a few - didn't care for the HE-400 in the least, the P7 would be passable but they're so fuzzy warm, and the Sonys just didn't do anything for me either way. The DT990 are actually one of the few Beyers I've not heard, but I'm not a fan of Beyers in general, so I'd personally not bother - but hey, if you've got a shop that'll let you audition'em, why not? :)

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I live in a rural area with nowhere to audition headphones. I'll be going to Tucson, closest big city, soon but only best buy that I know of has cans to try and very few. I believe only 4, Sennheiser 558, momentum 2, V Moda M100, and a forth I can't remember.

I can order from Amazon.

I'm unfamiliar with the Ultrasone PRO900, which is not surprising (lol), I'll be reading up on those as well as jodgey4's suggestions. Thanks again, and please keep it coming.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 7
If you seek mid-and-hi-bass you will need completely sealed closed back headphones with pleather pads (no velour). I'd recommend Panasonic RP-HT460. They are lo-budget, lo-res and muddy but their upper bass is gorgeous and heavy styles of music sound remarkable. Just worth buying for merely testing how bass may sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back