Need advice buying over-the-ear headphones. $100 budget.
Apr 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

metric man

New Head-Fier
    I've never had a really good pair of headphones and don't know all that much about them. After looking around a bit though, the audio technica ATH-M50S seems like my best bet. My budget is around $100, but with all the praise the M50S gets I'm willing to pay an extra $20. I'll be using these headphones on my desktop while browsing/ playing games and occasionally while traveling. I want closed, over-the-ear headphones that are comfortable enough that I can where for 3-4 hours without being bothered.
 What are your thoughts? Am I paying too much just for casual use? 

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 16
I'd recommend the Logitech UE 6000's. If you are using headphones at all for traveling, the M50's aren't ideal. You mentioned M50in your post twice, so I wasn't sure which one you were referring to each time. Please clarify. Anyways, feel free to ask questions. 

-halfinfinity.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 16
   Hi halfinfinity, thanks for the feedback :)
I was referring to the M50S. Is there a difference between the M50 and M50S? I couldn't find anything. Anyway, I don't travel very often so I'm not really concerned about that, having headphones that can last me 3 years + is much more important to me. I also would like to know if the logitech UE 6000's or the M50S' would need better software/ hardware for their higher quality sound (i.e. sound card, flac files, etc.). 

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 16
I was referring to the M50S. Is there a difference between the M50 and M50S? I couldn't find anything. Anyway, I don't travel very often so I'm not really concerned about that

No difference in sound. The M50S model# refers to the straight cable version. When people talk about the M50, sometimes they mean the straight or the coiled cable.

I find them fine for travel because I only travel occasionally, too. They are a little bigger than headphones designed for portability, but they do turn so that the pads are flat--easy for me to put them in a backpack. And I like the durability of the M50s. For < $125, they are a solid headphone choice.

I also would like to know if the logitech UE 6000's or the M50S' would need better software/ hardware for their higher quality sound (i.e. sound card, flac files, etc.). 

They can benefit from a better soundcard if you are using the onboard audio with your computer. But they don't require it. In other words, you can improve the SQ. And with better source files, they will sound better than compared to YouTube videos.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 16
Hello,

You don't need an amplifier for ATH-M50 but I personally, would prefer the UE6000 over it in terms of almost everything with exception of build quality but the UE6000 by no means, bad in build quality just not as good.

Otherwise, look into HD439. It's a great headphone, very comfortable, excellent imaging for the price and soundstage is pretty good but they don't isolate as well as any of those two headphones mentioned above. It is best to go with these if you game more than music or watch movies more often than listening to music. It does benefit with an amplifier but really, it don't need one IMO

The UE6000 isolates best, sound best for all rounder use, out of the three.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 16
Hi billson,

The HD439 does seem like a great choice especially for its price and seems to suite me more for my daily use, but how long do you think they'll last? Is the sound quality difference between the ATH-M50 and UE 6000 big? 

thanks

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 16
Hello,

That depends on how you take care of them actually xD if you torture them every day and night, it probably wont last.

The ATH-M50 and UE6000 difference is not that big but the UE6000 is IMO better in rvery aspect of sound slightly.

Hope it help
Billson :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 16
Hello,

You don't need an amplifier for ATH-M50 but I personally, would prefer the UE6000 over it in terms of almost everything with exception of build quality but the UE6000 by no means, bad in build quality just not as good.

This!!

The UE6000 are so much better than the M50s...and cheaper.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 16
thanks everyone for replying :)

I'm going think over what you've all said and decide which headphones to buy. The UE 6000 seems like my best bet.. but I'll do some more research before buying.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 16
  thanks everyone for replying :)

I'm going think over what you've all said and decide which headphones to buy. The UE 6000 seems like my best bet.. but I'll do some more research before buying.

Where are you located?   Don't you have a store near you were you can audition headphones?

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 16
I live in Brazil and everything is very expensive, especially anything related to technology. I have an aunt who is going to visit the US next month and I'm going to ask her to buy a pair of headphones while she's there. I really would like to test these headphones, but there are no big music stores that I can think of close to where I live.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 16

I live in Brazil and everything is very expensive, especially anything related to technology. I have an aunt who is going to visit the US next month and I'm going to ask her to buy a pair of headphones while she's there. I really would like to test these headphones, but there are no big music stores that I can think of close to where I live.

Okay.  Just be aware that not many of the models we talk about on this site are available in stores, so your aunt might not be able to find the model you tell her to buy.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 16
  I'm going to order from amazon or some other online store and send it to her hotel, so I'm not really worried about that.

It looks like you have a good plan.  Good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back