Need advice: best PC/portable setup
Feb 28, 2005 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I would like some advice figuring out what the best solution for my needs are.

The current equipment:
  1. PC with built on sound: C-Media High Definition Audio 8-channel CODEC / Coaxial, Optical S/PDIF out on back I/O port as well as normal 1/8" plugs (motherboard is Asus P5GD2 Deluxe)
  2. Apple 15" Powerbook: with crappy headphone out.
  3. Apple iPod 10GB 3rd Gen: best sound out I've got at the moment, that's sad.
  4. Rotel RA932: I'm very happy with it.
  5. Creative USB Soundblaster: ick. I was in a pinch and needed something ASAP, forgot to return it to best buy.
  6. Etymotic ER4-P: I got them for portable listening, my Grados are way too big.
  7. Grado SR125: had them for a while now, I still like them, but they don't fit in my pocket.

What I want:
I want something that will give me very good sound to compliment the Etys (The Grados get plugged into the Rotel). I'd say about 50/50 I use them either on the go (ipod) or sitting at my desk (computer(s)). Because of that, I want something portable.

At the same time, It would be great to either bypass the sound "cards" built in the PC and the Powerbook and go Firewire or USB; OR at least go optical or digital coax from the PC. The advantage to some sort of USB or firewire ready device or other DAC is that I could plug the rotel directly into it.

I'd like to spend <=~$350 on this project (not including cabling)
So far, here's my options list so far:
  1. Xin Supermacro w/ option pack
  2. Emmline SR-71 (which I know is above the range I really want to stay in)
  3. M-Audio Firewire Audiophile (recommended by dmoffitt). This wouldn't help with the ipod though

The problem I feel I'm going to run into is that even with the portable headphone amp, when I'm sitting at my desk, I'm still going to get crappy output from my computers unless I fix THAT (yes, I use my computers for almost all of my music because it was the best way to back up my CDs and play them at will)

Any other suggestions? Wasn't 100% sure if I should post this in portable or Computers as Source, since it really is about 50/50.

Thanks!

(PS: in case it gets asked, I primarily listen to techno/trance/"dance" ("electronica") and a variety of other rock/alternative music)

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 11
huh? i'm a bit confused, and i think you might be a bit as well

the three items you're considering are amps, not dacs, soundcards or the like

i'll do some cheap summary of components we tend to like here at headfi

soundcards
emu 0404 and 1212m have center stage right now; $100 and $200

dacs:you'd need some way to get a bit perfect digital out out of your pc or laptop; there are usb options for this

benchmarc dac-1 and bello canto dac2 are popular choices here. there really are a myriad of options though

i'd highly suggest exercising your "search" finger on this website

i can't really keep straight what it is you want. would you clarify? i strongly strongly reccomend that you tackle one component at a time, in short, specific questions as separate threads.

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 11
OK, sorry, I was not more clear.

- As of starting this thread, I am seriously interested in a portable headphone amp.
- Second option would be an external firewire/USB amp/DAC/breakout box/sound card/whatever you would call it.
- I am not interested in an internal PCI soundcard at the moment, as that would be confined to the PC and is not what I am asking about.
- What I need is: good/better sound quality going to my etys from PC/powerbook/ipod.

- The moral of my story is this: I am looking for either ONE component that does what I need, or possibly a combination of 2.

I lumped it into one thread because if I end up needing 2 components, I would much rather build a SYSTEM that does what I need than pick one component then be forced to match another to it (if I end up needing 2). I have used the search function, and I have browsed quite a bit. The fact that I have 6 posts could quite possibly indicate that I lurk and read instead of post whoring
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry I have not been clear.

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 11
The advantage to some sort of USB or firewire ready device or other DAC is that I could plug the rotel directly into it.

unless it's just me, the above makes zero sense. i think you need a little tutorial on what different components do

in a basic headphone setup (whether portable, at home, whatever) this is what you have:

transport > dac > amp > headphones

some have a preamp in between dac and amp stages, but i don't think you should consider that right now

transport: this is what "plays" your music. the cd spinner/laser reading mechanism in a cd player, or the hard drive in a computer or dap (digital audio player, such as your ipod)

dac: "digital to analog converter". this does what it says. it takes the little 0"s and 1's of binary code and transforms them into an analog soundwave. this wave is then amplified by the next stage. this is a very important stage of the setup. if you want to get picky, this is what you call your "source."

amplifier: this amplifies the analog soundwave. also very important and often overlooked by newbies. that's about all i can say without going out of the focus range of this thread

headphones: duh
smily_headphones1.gif

portable setup
your ipod has a transport (hard drive), dac, and amp in it. the best upgrade you can do to your current setup is: get a "sik din" which will attatch to the bottom of your ipod, and from that you connect to a portable amp, such as the (excellent) supermacro or sr-71 you mentioned. this is up to you whether you're willing to haul the extra weight or not. will be a noticeable improvement, but granted not as much as if you spent the $$ on your home system. then, turn your er4p's into er4s's with a cable replacement made my ety.

home: i'd strongly reccomend that you either pick a cd player system, or a computer based system. doing both at this price range is sort of an exercise in futility.

pc option: i'm biased. i have this and love it. you'll need:
a big enough hard drive(s) for all your music
b. to make your pc quiet
c. to get a good soundcard: emu 0404 or 1212m are popular as mentioned above. if you want to spend more $$$ you can get an external dac with a soundcard. most highly reccomended dac's cost around $1000

cd player option: well, just keep your rotel, and upgrade when and if you want

for either you'll may want a good home headphone amp. many options. if you get a sr-71, supermacro etc. you can always use that

depending on how much you like the er4s's you might want another pair of phones, upgrade your grados, try others, or just keep it where it is

we need to know your budget

well, this was a pretty sloppy guide, but it seemed you needed some information to start from. hopefully others can chime in when you get things more straightened out.

peace

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022
OK, sorry, I was not more clear.

- As of starting this thread, I am seriously interested in a portable headphone amp.
- Second option would be an external firewire/USB amp/DAC/breakout box/sound card/whatever you would call it.
- I am not interested in an internal PCI soundcard at the moment, as that would be confined to the PC and is not what I am asking about.
- What I need is: good/better sound quality going to my etys from PC/powerbook/ipod.

- The moral of my story is this: I am looking for either ONE component that does what I need, or possibly a combination of 2.

I lumped it into one thread because if I end up needing 2 components, I would much rather build a SYSTEM that does what I need than pick one component then be forced to match another to it (if I end up needing 2). I have used the search function, and I have browsed quite a bit. The fact that I have 6 posts could quite possibly indicate that I lurk and read instead of post whoring
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry I have not been clear.

you're going to have to make some comprimises to have two different setups (pc/laptop and ipod), rather than three (pc, laptop, ipod)

here you go:
my above reccomendations for ipod still hold

for your pc and laptop what you can get is a firewire device such as M-audio transit that is basically a soundcard connected to your usb port. this can be used in pc and laptop. honestly though: if i were you (this is a dangerous type of advice
smily_headphones1.gif
) i'd do this:

1. keep ipod with et4p the way it is
2. get m-audio transit or the like for your laptop
3. get EMU 0404 for your pc

then i'd get the following that will go with both laptop and pc (and amp could go with ipod as well if you want to lug it)
1. sr-71, supermacro, or portable pimeta amp
2. upgrade your grados if, and only if, you want to. or, try a different sound-signature phone like sennheiser. of course, if you love your ety's to death you could sell your 125's ( i wouldn't
frown.gif
), and get the cable to turn your er4p into er4s

oh man. if you think there are a bunch of options, you are right! good luck!

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks,
Yes, as far as the ipod, I forgot to include that that will have a mini dock (aka: line level out) attached. I do not mind carrying around some extra weight, however I would like a small amp (like the supermacro.). The reason I like the supermacro is the essential functionality of the Ety P->S cable with the flip of a switch.

As far as computer equipment, I've got 3 computers (1 PC server, 1 PC workstation, 1 powerbook) with a combined storage space of 840GB, so the space for my music isn't an issue :wink:. I have done what I can to keep my new PC quiet, and I think that with the case side on and with everything in silent mode, it puts out about 20-25db

CD player option really isn't an option at the moment, as I like very quick access to my music collection (hence why it's on the computer)

The problem I'm having is that this would be much easier if I just wanted a home setup. Part of my requirement is that the solution (or at least part of the solution) needs to be portable and cargo-pocket sized :wink: )

I guess what I'm asking is: is there A device that will let me do what I want/need for <=~$350

Thanks again for your input.

edit: Actually, I love the grados. The only thing I want to do with them is re-cable them (right channel cuts out sometimes). I wouldn't sell them for anything (and I doubt anyone would buy them). They are home use only, etys are generally used for portable and *gasp* gaming

Feb 28, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 11
Ok, I found the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile for $150 at guitarcenter, I stopped by but they were out of stock. They said they are probably getting a few in in a day or two, so I might stop by and grab one. They also have a very good selection of other internal cards.

My main reasoning for wanting to go with the firewire one is that I'll be able to switch it between the powerbook and PC. HOWEVER, would it really be worth getting an internal PCI card for the PC only?

And yes, if I get the firewire for $150, I'd still be able to get the supermacro, I'd just be spending more than I wanted to, but I guess that's the way that audio goes :wink:

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Guitar center is also often willing/able to negotiate hehe :p

as said above, you are going to have to compromise, I would say since you are using the Etys more these days, get the best portable amp you can afford and run with that. the iPod is a plenty-good source with coupled with a dock (or mini-dock sik din etc) -- heck, i am always amazed when I run the iPod via an AQ Copperhead mini->RCA into my home rig, and you know what "reference" level that is
biggrin.gif
sounds about 90% as good as my separate transport/dac setup, which considering that both of my DACs cost over $2500 when new says a lot for apple...

plus, the only problem with the poor line-out on the powebook is it's low power / inability to drive phones properly. if you use the Audio Midi Setup under Utilities you can essentially make it a Line Out (if you leave your iTunes volume at full and don't touch OSX's volume, and use the one on the amp). I did this when using the PowerMac G5 as a transport via optical (didn't want Core Audio doing any bit-cutting for volume attenuation). with a good amp such as those recommend above, you will get more out of both your portable and home setup.

the M-Audio FW is a good addition to both the Mac and the PC btw, and can easily be shuffled on the fly between them as a better analog line out for the PC to the Rotel or the headphone amp.

so it looks like get the amp, then maybe get the M-audio as a 2nd upgrade.

if you really want to spend some money, pick up a used Bel Canto DAC2 (almost bought it over the TriVista) or CAL (California Audio Labs) Alpha or even just a cheap Sigma, and use that as a DAC for the PC rig to the Rotel, but as much as I love your Tannoys, I doubt they are really a high-end enough transducer to appreciate the difference, hence recommending the M-Audio instead.

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 11
There's another option that hasn't been mentioned.

The Headroom Bithead/Total Bithead has both USB and line inputs, and is portable (battery or USB powered). This would work as an amp for the ipod, or as a USB soundard for either the Mac or PC.

Also, the price ($199/$269) fits well within Darwin022's budget of < $350.

Mar 1, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy
There's another option that hasn't been mentioned.

The Headroom Bithead/Total Bithead has both USB and line inputs, and is portable (battery or USB powered). This would work as an amp for the ipod, or as a USB soundard for either the Mac or PC.

Also, the price ($199/$269) fits well within Darwin022's budget of < $350.

that's a worthy option if you use your powerbook frequently as source

here's the big quesiton:
1. how often do you use ipod?
2. how often powerbook?
3. how often desktop?

give us percentages, please.

Mar 1, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Ok, I'm a multi tasker, so my numbers will seem weird.... but this is going to be not-at-work. At home I have the PC and mac sitting next to each other, just depends which I want to use for music.

OK, so JUST for music;

sitting at home: I'd say I listen to about 10-20 hours of music a week on the computers. mainly as background, about 50/50 as far as mac vs/ PC (depends on what else I'm doing). I use the ipod about 6 hours a week sitting at home.

Not at home (traveling/whatever): I'd say I use the ipod between 4 hours and 15 hours a week (really depends how much travel I do); powerbook for music, about 4. However, I listen much closer to the music when I'm traveling.

At work: don't listen to music that much, but lets say when I do, I'll plug the ipod or laptop (generally ipod) into my Tivoli Model 2.... for about 10 hours a week.

---------
cliff notes:
-home: PC: 50% Mac: 50% ipod: ~25% (as I said scewed since I will change on a regular basis depending on what I'm doing) total: 16-26 hours a week
-not at home: PC: 0% Mac: 10% iPod: 90% total: 8-19 hours a week
-work: ipod:95% total: 10 hours a week.

-OVERALL totals: PC 5-10hours; 15-20%; Mac 9-14 hours; 26-28%; iPod: 20-25 hours; 51-58%

I had looked at the headroom amps breifly, but it boils down to this: I break plastic things. ESPECIALLY when I'm moving around. Ask dmoffitt (friend of mine), I abuse portable equipment without trying.

PS: thinking about it, I'm leaning towards shelling out some more if needs be (say $100-150 more, but I'd rather not)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back