Need advice..are IEM's with cable totally dead, or can wireless noise-cancelling iem's compete?
Dec 1, 2023 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Well have Kinera iem's paired with FiO Q1 here, with Oneplus mobile (got them to work together, but yay! Oneplus has 3.5 mm jacks!). So the question is this, am I a dinsosaur or the last dinosaur going with wired iem's to a dac/amplifier, are the new generation of noise-cancelling iem's good enough to replace them? See that am the last person with wired headphones, and not up to date with all the wireless standards. And how that works, just have Tidal hi-fi plus here. But no-one on the bus has wired headphones, or iems (most people in Bergen Norway use over the ear wireless noise-cancelling headphones). So am I a dinosaur? Should I do like Gen Z or others and just buy a new pair of wireless cans? See no-one using iems. Are they good enough? Not sure, pretty happy with current setup, and pretty sure wireless cans or iems are not as good as wired. But as it says, a bit of a dinosaur. Comments and suggestions welcome. Been out of the loop for a while, so interesting to hear what forum members have to say. Maybe time to upgrade.

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 17
So the question is this, am I a dinsosaur

Magic 8 Ball says... ask again later

dinotrain.png

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 17
Awesome pic! Will keep that in mind!

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 17
Here's one right back at ya..us old folks can keep on rocking!

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 17
In answer to your question... on headfi, I think the vast majority of us prefer wired over wireless.

Wireless has certain use cases, but the cost to performance is much better with wired options.

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for reply. The vast majority of the unwashed unknkowing prefer wireless though. So had to ask if it is nearly as good as wired now.

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 17
I've got lots of IEMs both wired and wireless. The Simgot ea500 with an Apple USB 3.5mm adapter is my favorite if you factor cost. The Sennheiser Momentum 3 is the only ear buds I've heard that compete with the wired ones.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for reply! Well will go wired for now, and the unwashed masses can still go unwired! Hep me lord!

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for reply! Well will go wired for now, and the unwashed masses can still go unwired! Hep me lord!
For what it’s worth, I use and enjoy the Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro more than anything I’ve owned past or present.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 17
Will check them out! Not a guru as regards iems anyway. And not a proper hi-fier anyway.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 17
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 17
So I think you have two answers:

Wireless Galaxy Pro buds, apple buds etc. These sound like absolute dogcrap to me. Sorry.

Then you have high performance buds attached to things like a FIIO UTWS 5. I have UM Mest MkIIIs they sound really good attached to the FIIO, really good. Just bought an H7 to find out if they sound better attached to a balanced wire. Will find out, this will be alot more incremental than a real bud compared to the Gaxlaxys or Airpods....

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for replies all! Well will stick to my Kinera wired buds for now it seems. It was what it seemed, that wireless bluetooth buds are not as good as wired buds. Just wondering as everyone and his dog is going wireless these days. Good to be back on the forums! As an aside, most poeple are using wireless over the ear cans these days...

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 17
I'm in the forever wired camp because the BT ones will eventually stop working and become e-waste but I do have a few though, for convenience, especially when out on my runs.

If you want to dip your toes, the Moondrop Space Travel are $25 and sound like $100. Good starter set.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 17
Thanks will check them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back