Need advice...and you all are super awesome. and good looking too!
Jun 18, 2010 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jaxwired

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.  First post.  I am a long time veteran of high end audio, but a newbie to head-fi.  I'd appreciate advice.  I'm considering getting into this end of the hobby and I want feedback about my plan.  Any comments appreciated.  Here's my plan.

1.  Buy Sennheiser HD 800 with stock cord.
2.  I already own a benchmark DAC 1, so I will use this as my headphone amp.
3.  Buy a WADIA iPod dock.
4.  Buy an iPod classic.  Upload all my music in apple lossless to PC and onto iPod classic.
5.  Feed benchmark DAC 1 via WADIA dock and iPod classic.

Thoughts? 

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 14
The ASUS N10J netbook has an optical output for audio and a 320GB HD for about $450.

You could use foobar (has a add-on for apple lossless) and ASIO.

It has an HDMI out so you could even use a HDTV as a display, you could use a remote, or even get a mini Logitech keyboard.

It would probably be about the same size as the Dock and iPod, and you could upgrade storage (external hard drive)

But obviously, you wouldn't be as portable.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Really?  No advice? 

Patience is a virtue. And saying "you all suck" in the title isn't helping your cause. Since nobody answered, try using the search bar. It's there for a reason. It took me all of 5 seconds to find this.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 14
Wouldn't feed the troll guys you're better than that.....but I don't mind doing it.

Dude you can't just come onto a forum and demand people to help you, saying you all suck in the title of your thread and then complaining when you don't get help for a little bit. How old are you ? Smart move though as it'll likely get your thread some responses - though with completely off topic crap like this.

Show some respect. Ask nicely. Don't expect. Then you'll find that there's very helpful folk on here if you allow to be.....that's what I did and it worked for me. But I have gone the other route on forums before and let me tell you it's fun for a while but end of the day it doesn't work.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Wouldn't feed the troll guys you're better than that.....but I don't mind doing it.

Dude you can't just come onto a forum and demand people to help you, saying you all suck in the title of your thread and then complaining when you don't get help for a little bit. How old are you ? Smart move though as it'll likely get your thread some responses - though with completely off topic crap like this.

Show some respect. Ask nicely. Don't expect. Then you'll find that there's very helpful folk on here if you allow to be.....that's what I did and it worked for me. But I have gone the other route on forums before and let me tell you it's fun for a while but end of the day it doesn't work.

Well said.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:

That's very true.

I wasn't feeding him (right?) I figured he'd just keep complaining and helping him/her would shut him up.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 14
LOL.  Some people just love to yell troll.  .

I added the "you suk" to the title after nearly 24 hours (that's not 10 minutes folks) with no meaningful response.  By that time I was way, way down the list and there's little doubt that further patience would have just resulted in the thread dying completely.

I only added that to the title to bump it and because my original title was not drawing any eyeballs.  My new title has at least pulled in a few more. 

It would be nice if I could benefit from your collective years of wisdom.  I would appreciate it and it would be a nice thing for you to do.  Hopefully you can look past my title as it was really just meant tongue in cheek.  
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 14
Maybe consider less true to source headphones, from what I read, it seems that the HD800 needs careful pairing with dac and amp, or you may not like the resultant sound. Do you think the benchmark dac 1 sounds harsh or too analytical? If so, maybe you would prefer headphones known to sound natural or forgiving of source.

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 14
I believe there are nicer ways to do that than say 'you suck', which just sounds really childish. 

Well, anyway, if you are not patient enough, why not to use the search button? there are lots of recommendations every day on head-fi and there is a high chance that someone already asked your question. It worked for me for 2 years without having a need to create another thread. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Maybe consider less true to source headphones, from what I read, it seems that the HD800 needs careful pairing with dac and amp, or you may not like the resultant sound. Do you think the benchmark dac 1 sounds harsh or too analytical? If so, maybe you would prefer headphones known to sound natural or forgiving of source.

Thanks haloxt. 

Yes, I guess you could say that about the DAC 1.  It does not sound harsh in my stereo though because I'm using speakers that are on the warm laid back side.  So it's got good synergy with the speakers.  I've actually never heard the headphone output. 

I'm open to switching in a different headphone amp. Anything under $1k.  I just don't no anything about headphone amps so it seemed like a good idea to just use the benchmark. 

Since I posted, I've being reading about headphones, I'm thinking I might scratch the HD 800s and go with AKG K702s instead.  A fraction of the price and they seem to be very highly regarded.  I should probably start lower on the food chain. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 14
There's very divided opinion on the K702, often I've read people complain about not enough bass and a boring sound, and I seem to read a lot about that whenever the headphones have the words studio, reference, or monitor in them. Let us know what kind of sound you want then people can give advice on what headphones to get, I can't give much advice since I have little experience with headphones :p. Maybe you'd like the HD800, it's very well regarded on head-fi, but I'd warn you some people have said they didn't like it which I believe is due to the HD800 being very revealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back