Need advice about Fiio DACs!
Oct 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RokkaMan

New Head-Fier
Hi there, been spending the past few months slowly but surely embracing audiophilia, thanks to the purchase of a pair of Shure SE535s. I have recently bought a Fiio E7 and I'm blown away by the difference it makes to music, to the point where I'm now building up a library that's strictly Red Book or above!

However, novellus that I am, I ordered the E7 unaware of the existence of the Fiio E10. Unfortunately the reviews give very little information about IEMs, with the focus being on its ability to drive full sized cans. I was just wondering, for actual sound quality, is it worth selling the E7 and just getting an E10? Or would the difference not be worth it for the relatively sensitive Shures? (I would like to point out that I'm curious to see what 24/96 FLACs sound like with the Shures.) Or even, would it be worth waiting on the E15 or E17?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 5
The E7 and E10 should sound pretty much identical with everything. The difference is the E7 is portable, a little more powerful (I think), and a little more expensive.

24/96 vs 16/44.1 doesn't matter.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
The E7 and E10 should sound pretty much identical with everything. The difference is the E7 is portable, a little more powerful (I think), and a little more expensive.

24/96 vs 16/44.1 doesn't matter.

E7 portable dac/amp, able to dock with E9, quite a clean DAC, amp isn't overly powerful, dual headphone out.

E10 desktop (or transportable - but not portable), stand-alone dac/amp, has coax out, more powerful amp than E7 (supposed to be about as powerful as the E11's amp section).

Personally - I wouldn't be looking at a desktop set-up for 535s, or any IEM for that matter.  If the E7 is powering your 535's OK, enjoy it, and worry about bettering your amp/source when you (eventually) go to full size cans.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
E10 desktop (or transportable - but not portable), stand-alone dac/amp, has coax out, more powerful amp than E7 (supposed to be about as powerful as the E11's amp section).

Yeah, my mistake, the E10 is more powerful. 150 mW into 32 ohms, versus 150 mW into 16 ohms for the E7. The 535 doesn't need that much power, so the E7 is plenty.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you both for your responses, I may as well stick with the E7 then!

I have no doubt about getting full size cans eventually, as soon as I get out of uni and into a job I'll certainly be on here again asking for advice  again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back