Need advice...<$300 amp to pair with Grado HF-1's
Nov 7, 2005 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sjt78

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to hi-fi headphones and amps and need some direction. I just purchased the HF-1's (did not receive them yet) and plan on ordering an amp to use at home (not portable). My source will be a Rega Planet 2000 cd player. I'm hoping to find an amp that will bring out the best of the HF-1's. At this time I do not think I am prepared to build a kit, but would entertain those suggestions as well. I'm sure there are sponsors here such as Todd at Vinyl junkie that carry great brands, but I do not know what works with what. I appreciate any help. Thanks.
-Steve

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 18
You can get a Gilmore lite at headamp.com. I heard goodthing about that amp and have one on the way!!!!

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 18
you may be able to find someone in the DIY forum to build you a millet hybrid...they're supposed to sound very good with grados. and i think you might be able to get one built for about $300

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 18
The Gilmore Lite is probably the best choice out there for your price range if you do not mind a solid state signature. None of the tube amps I have heard in that price range have thrilled me enough to recommend them.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
yes the GLite is a very nice little amp... ide also recommend looking into the various DIY amps- M3, PPS, or perhaps a Dynalo or PIMETA

Yup, those are also good values

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 18
Tubes....

LDII....Millett Hybrid....save up another $100, MAD EAR+ Purist...
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 18
Its portable & its a little more than $300 - but the Hornet does the HF-1's beautifully to me ears!! You get portable thrown in for extra!!

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I've looked online for some of the amps you have recommended and I have not been able to find some of them. Maybe because I don't have the whole name of the company who makes them? I like the way the G Lite looks and I'm considering that one. Tube amps have always intrigued me, but I'm afraid I won't have a clue how to work them. I guess I'm just used to solid state electronics.

BTW...I have a Sim Audio Moon I-5 integrated amp, if I get a headphone amp with only one set of RCA inputs, do I just use the tape monitor out of my integrated to change inputs? I'd rather not have to unplug the cables from the back of the headphone amp each time I want to listen to a different component.
-Steve

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt78
I like the way the G Lite looks and I'm considering that one. Tube amps have always intrigued me, but I'm afraid I won't have a clue how to work them. I guess I'm just used to solid state electronics.

I got the G Lite yesterday and I also owned a MG Head MkII tube amp, to my ears the HF-1 sounded really bad and that's why I spent another $300 for the G Lite. After listened for a few hours lastnight on the G lite I have not regret doing it.

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 18
I hate to give advice like this - but if you're willing to go $300 I'd push that # to $400 and get your hands on the Meier Aria. There's no other amp in that price range that includes a built in DAC and based on the reviews it's gotten it's worth twice that.

Sorry,

Nate

P.s. The Millet pairs exceptionally well with the HF-1s. Keep your eyes on the FS forum, a couple have popped up recently.

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 18
"BTW...I have a Sim Audio Moon I-5 integrated amp, if I get a headphone amp with only one set of RCA inputs, do I just use the tape monitor out of my integrated to change inputs? I'd rather not have to unplug the cables from the back of the headphone amp each time I want to listen to a different component".
-Steve

I dont think you would have to unplug cables or deal with that at least with the Gilmore Lite.Being that it has rca inputs and loop out rca's I think your protected in that area. Hypothetically,just use the rca inputs from the GL to the tape out rca's on your Sim Audio.By the way,thats a damn nice integrated amp !

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 18
Thanks for the comments about the Sim...I enjoy it very much and hope to meet or exceed it's transparency with my new headphone system. I'll keep an eye on the classifieds. I've bought many used pieces of audio equipment, including the Sim, and they have been in great condition and functional well. I think this hobby attracts obsessive compulsives and most treat their equipment with kid gloves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back