Need Active Tube-Based High-Quality Line-Level Pre-Amp
Jun 4, 2016 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

groovyd

Headphoneus Supremus
The output of my D100 drives both a large McIntosh powered amp which goes to maggies and also drives via pre-amp line level (rca) outs a couple set of Paradigm Millenia One powered speakers.  Problem is at the D100 pre-amp line level out needed for the maggies the line level out is under-driving the Paradigms which then need to be turned up high to compensate causing other issues (like amp overheating inside the paradigms).  What I need is a very high quality line level active pre-amp to go between the D100 and Paradigms that restores the line level back up to where it needs to be so I can volume down the Paradigms and still be even with the maggies.

Currently I am using a cheap solid state line level pre-amp JEC TC-780LC to do this... 

http://www.amazon.com/TC-780LC-Stereo-Booster-BLACK-VERSION/dp/B000RZXAHI%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-osx-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000RZXAHI

but I would like to replace it with something tube-based and of much higher signal quality (high snr) since this signal is being re-amped twice not to pickup any ground humm or background noise.  Any suggestions on a good quality tube-based line level pre-amp?  I want tube based because I love the tube sound. Price is not the concern and I would be willing to spend big to get something great.  Ideally the volume knob would be larger and the unit would be heavy enough to not move around with the wind or when I dial in the volume.

The unit I have sounds ok and gets the job done but I am looking for something great and willing to pay what it takes to get there.

---

I must mention the reason I don't drive the Paradigm from the fixed line-level out of the D100 is I want their volume to change with the maggies all together when I turn the D100 volume knob.  Also the Paradigm Millenia One has one of the ****tiest remote controls I have ever used (and no physical volume knob otherwise) and I don't want to fight that thing to find the matching volume every time I want to change it for the maggies.  One reason is I actually have 2 sets of the Paradigms in parallel and so would have to also match both of those gains using this wanky remotes just ain't gunna happen.  I do love the sound of the Paradigms which is why I keep them.

here is a diagram of my connections

D100 --> pre-amp balanced --> MC252 --> Maggies
|
+--> pre-amp rca --> TC-780LC Line Level Booster --> rca splitter --> 2x Paradigm MilleniaOne CT --> 2 subs (left + right) + 4 sats on my desk

-- 

oh i almost forgot.... it needs to have positive gain output meaning can boost the line level up higher then it is coming in, not just a passive pre-amp but providing actual line level boost.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 8
here is a picture of the setup... the blue led under the desk are the 2 Paradigm controllers  and the red led under the desk is the current pre-amp booster i am using.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 8
will check it out thanks!  currently getting 20db gain but at only 80 snr (i can hear the hiss when I turn it up).  one thing having we worried is it inverts the signal.  this will need to play side by side with the Maggies and the headphone amps i have all together.   also price is a bit steep.  anything under $1k without phono stage?  looking for purely a line level booster.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 8

I can't seem to find any on my own searches which is why I am here... specifically need a 15+db boost and ideally something with tubes and of good quality and high snr.  tubes aren't a requirement but just would be the icing on the cake.  the problem i have with my current setup is i can hear the noise when i turn it up and i am assuming that is from the 80dB snr of the cheap booster i have.

Will take a look at the Budgie, thanks and keep feeding me any other options you think of... one of them will catch.

Does it need to be a phono pre-amp as it seems most of these devices market that.  I don't have a phono just need line level amplification with about 15-20 dB of gain.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Found AricAudio via ebay and ordered one of his Unlimited pre-amps without phono.  

http://aricaudio.com/products.php?product=UNL100

Discounted to 650 without phono stage and Aric was pretty convincing it would do everything I needed it to do.  As well it has a good 30dB gain with very low noise so let's see. Excited to get that tube sound without the background noise and even a bit more gain out of it.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Arrived today and hooked it up and have to say this is spot on exactly what I was looking for.  Great rich tube sound, plenty of gain, and absolutely no noise.  Aric is also a great guy to do business with and stands behind his product.  Highly recommended! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back