Need a warmer Head Phone
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FlatListener

Head-Fier
Hello,

After trying the BeyerDynamic 1350's (kept those) and Focal Spirit Professional (returned) and Focal Spirit Classic (returned) I am looking for another Head Phone.

After getting my FiiO X5 I suddenly found my music to sound so much better on my Beyer 1350's that I thought I could improve even more if I'd get better Head Phones. 

The strong point of the 1350's is that the sound is warm, exactly how I like it. The con is that sound stage is so-so.

The strong point of the Focal Spirits is sound stage is much better, but sound signature is not warm enough for me, the mids are too strong.

So I am looking for a new pair of HP's with a warm sound that also has a much better sound stage. I've heard good things about the Denon D7000 (which is discontinued, I know) and not the best of rep about the D7100, but it has dropped in price somewhat now.

If need be, I can switch to open head phones. I've heard good stuff about Audeze products, but I'm not sure which model to start with.

Hope anyone here can help me take a first step.

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Check out the Audeze LCD-X or HiFiMAN HE-500 if you are on more of a budget. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Final Audio Pandora Hope VI - these are as bright as I can go but never become sibilant/bright to the point of pain or discomfort. If you're considering Audeze then the size/style of the Pandoras shouldn't be a worry.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 8
  Hello,

After trying the BeyerDynamic 1350's (kept those) and Focal Spirit Professional (returned) and Focal Spirit Classic (returned) I am looking for another Head Phone.

After getting my FiiO X5 I suddenly found my music to sound so much better on my Beyer 1350's that I thought I could improve even more if I'd get better Head Phones. 

The strong point of the 1350's is that the sound is warm, exactly how I like it. The con is that sound stage is so-so.

The strong point of the Focal Spirits is sound stage is much better, but sound signature is not warm enough for me, the mids are too strong.

So I am looking for a new pair of HP's with a warm sound that also has a much better sound stage. I've heard good things about the Denon D7000 (which is discontinued, I know) and not the best of rep about the D7100, but it has dropped in price somewhat now.

If need be, I can switch to open head phones. I've heard good stuff about Audeze products, but I'm not sure which model to start with.

Hope anyone here can help me take a first step.

Thanks!

Hi,

You should consider:

Open:

Philips Fidelio X2
Sennheiser HD650
Audeze LCD-2

Closed:

Shure SRH-1540
Beyerdynamic T5p

Best Luck!

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 8

Thank you for your help! I've had surgery so my response is slow. I'll dig into those. How about the LCD-XC compared to the T5p?

Based on measurements, the XC should be a bit darker between 5kHz and 12KHz.
Both are easy to drive.
T5p are lighter and cheaper. I'm pretty sure the right pick is down to preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back