Need a turntable for around $100... how about...
Jan 17, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 24
If you don't already have one, be sure to budget for a phono preamp if you buy a vintage turntable. This assumes you don't have a preamp with a phono input. The new AT is at least "plug and play" in the sense that it has a built in phono pre, since hardly any preamps or receivers have phono inputs these days.

Jan 17, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Vedder323
I have a Marantz 2230... It has a pretty good phono pre amp I think...

The Marantz 2230 should have a decent phono preamp and probably much better than the turnatable with the built-in preamp.

The Dual CS5000 is a 'better' tt, but it would depend on how much you want to invest on a beginner vinyl set-up. The Dual 502, IMO, would make a better starter tt. If you should find you don't like the hassle of dealing with lp's, your investment would be less. But if later you decide to commit to vinyl, you can always upgrade down the road. And let me say, you can spend SERIOUS dough on a vinyl set-up!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Vedder323
I still wanna know why the Dual is so much better than the AT I bought.

Maybe because I feel the Dual 502's arm is better. Or Dual's platter is probably heavier and have less resonance. Or maybe because the chassis material offer less resonance than the plastic chassis of the AT. Or maybe the Dual has better speed regulation. Or maybe because I'm just old.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #23 of 24
Yes, all of those reasons. Better build, gives you less resonance, better isolation, more accurate speed stability (wow & flutter), less motor noise, less bearing noise.. all equating to: hearing less of the turntable - and more of the details on the RECORD itself!

Jan 18, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 24
I have owned and used several Dual TT including a model 1229 changer (rim drive) and a model 601 single play (belt drive). Today, unless I was trying to assemble an all-vintage system I don't think purchasing a used TT, even a good one, that is more than 15 years old is the best way to get into vinyl.

Turntables, more than any other component, must be carefully packed before being shipped. These days that probably means without the benefit of the original box and packing materials. Turntables are precision devices that have tolerances that can wear out with age and use or are easily damaged in shipping. Also parts, while available, are getting pretty pricey for some models. I.e, the replacement rubber puck that drives the rim on a Dual 1229 or 1229Q is $65 last time I checked.

Buying a new, low end consumer turntable, as you did for about $100 to try vinyl was a good way to start. As you have noticed, vinyl (especially used vinyl) can have lots of surface noise from dirt and scratches. A good record cleaner would be a smart follow-up purchase, as you continue to search used record bins and garage sales for decent vinyl copies of favorite bands and albums. When you have assembled a decent collection of vinyl albums then it would be time to consider upgrading your turntable and cartridge. Something like the Music Hall MM3 can be had for about $500. This would take you to the next level without the headache of repairing, sleuthing for long out of production parts, and restoring an older turntable to serviceable condition.

That being said, if a nice Dual 1229 or 1229Q showed up for sale for under $100, and I could just carry it home with no worry about shipping, I might be tempted. But it would be with the understanding that it was going to take some time and money to get the unit back to proper operating condition. FYI, one of the reason the Dual TTs are popular with music lovers who are also musicians is that these TT usually have a pitch control. This is normally used to set the speed to exactly 33-1/3 using a strobe disk (also some later models had the strobe markings along the outer rim of the platter) and a fluorecent light source. Musicians can use the pitch control to tune the pitch of a recording if it is slightly off so that they can play along with their own instrument and still keep in time with the music. It was not unusual for records to be slightly off pitch when recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back