Need a suggestion for my wife under $150 (first pair of phones)
Sep 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

andrewhans

New Head-Fier
IEM and circumaural suggestions.

Edit- Ok so i just talked to my wife and I miss understood her. She either wants IEMs that can be worn down mainly, or circumaural phones. She does not want the supra-aural. Sorry guys for the mislead at the beginning.

Requirements-
- NEEDS TO BE DURABLE
- under $150 the closer to $100 the better
- Fun
- Good Bass
- Comfortable
- Good Vocals
- "I want them to make me want to dance while cleaning the kitchen" These are her exact words haha
- No-Amp

The source will be a 4th Gen Ipod Touch 8gb if it matters.

Also she has heard the Dr. Dre headphones and thought they sounded like garbage. She also knows that Bose is very overrated for its price. Just a few suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 16
By on-ear, I'm assuming you mean supra-aural earphones (those resting on the ears) and not circumaural (around the ear). Correct? And as far as good on-ear phones are concerned, I can't think of better than the sennheiser px200-ii. It offers good sound for the money, good isolation for a supra-aural headphone, and is both comfortable and very sturdily built. The px200-ii also sells for $85 nowadays, which happily puts it well below your maximum budget.

That said, if she's willing to consider circumaural phones, the options open up.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 16
sony V6 would fit perfect, except that large cord, if she can handle a 2 meter cord, half coiled... or if you can recable it for her.

otherwise, ATH ES7 it sure is an atraction for the ladies, the thing looks like a jewelry accesory, specially the white one. tho IMO it does better with an amp, but the difference might be subtle. I usually use mines without amp.

just look at 'em

http://www.forum.munkonggadget.com/upload/2010/05/20100514200255.jpg
http://assets.head-fi.org/e/e8/e882ffff_ES7_3.jpg
http://www.vatgia.com/pictures_fullsize/yyy1276144425.jpg

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 16
I showed her the ATH ES7 and she loved them but thought the price was a bit high. Maybe I'll snoop around the for sale section and might pick up a set there.

Sony V6 has too long of a cord, she hates long cords.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Edit- Ok so i just talked to my wife and I miss understood her. She either wants IEMs that can be worn down mainly, or circumaural phones. She does not want the supra-aural. Sorry guys for the mislead at the beginning.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 16
^ I got mine ES7 in the FS forums for, if I remmeber correctly, $80 and looks like new. I'm sure you can find one for around $100.

The marshall Major looks pretty and small, shame it sounds like a $60 headphone and it costs $100 lol. is she willing to use open headphones?

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Yeah sorry about being misleading at the beginning.

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 16
I found the Es7 pretty but they hurt my ears due to my glasses and clamp pressure.

I like the Sennheiser PX100 II (warm relaxed sound) Open back so airy (but non-isolating). The Jays V-Jay is also nice but is brighter sounding than the PX100 and is also open back. Both are well under $100 (Jays can be bought from [=http://www.stereotypeaudio.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=5&products_id=173&osCsid=453a1295900fef0da93e8eb94b55ee26][/] not sure about a good place for Sennheiser. If you want closed back look at the PX200.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 16
Around ear take a look at Denon Hp700 for closed. Superlux 668b which has short and long cable and is removable and is very comfortable.

IEM's in that price range, take a hard look at the Spider Realvoice, they hang down and are very midrange centric, and are iPhone compatible with mic and controls. If she likes a V shaped sound for rock then look at the Denon 560R which are also an iPhone compatible IEM. Out of the 2 the Denon is easier to put in earand less likely to be pushed in to deep.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 16
unfortunately Shure IEM's are over ear versus hanging down and can be a bit tricky to insert, otherwise the SE215 are nice sounding with zero fatigue sonically speaking.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Yeah sorry about being misleading at the beginning.

1208972icon_bate.gif

if someone says ATH M50 hit him with the same bat. 

ph34r.gif

I still think the Sony V6 is the best option. circumaural, comfortable, great sound, $80, dont need an amp. everlasting... are you sure you can just cut the cord and solder a new plug? or wrap the cord with a rubber thing. I think its worth it.

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 16
I can definately resolder the cord thats a none issue. But I'm currrently in Korea and my wife is in Philly so I dont have access to the earphones to fix them at the moment. Once we are living together again I could definately take care of that. I will talk to her more about it. I think the Sony's might be the ticket, not sure how she feels on the looks though.

Shes also leaning towards IEMs more now. She's also losing interest in this as well haha. I still am going to surprise her with them as a random gift though. I'll just have to use my best judgement when it comes time to finally pick the set.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Requirements-
- NEEDS TO BE DURABLE check!
- under $150 the closer to $100 the better ~$160
- Fun check!
- Good Bass check!
- Comfortable check!
- Good Vocals check!
- "I want them to make me want to dance while cleaning the kitchen" These are her exact words haha check!
- No-Amp check!

I'd personally recommend she pay the GR07's a visit. I bought mine brand new for $160, shipped, via eBay best offer. It's every so slightly above your budget, but the price:performance ratio is simply unbeatable. Just my 2 cents. All the best! 
smile.gif

P.S. They're over the ear, but can be worn straight cable (if the orientation of the earpieces is reversed), and comfortably so for my ears.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 16
Well guys I went with the HFI 580's. She should be getting them about a week or so. I think she will love them. I told her about the cord and she said it would be ok and would just tie it up if it's on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back