Need a Sub $100 USB DAC for Sennheiser Amperior and 2.1 Speakers
May 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BigTerminator

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says I need a good budget USB DAC/AMP to drive my headphones and speakers.

Currently my laptop sounds better than my desktop and phone. My laptop is a Lenovo Y580 and it comes with Dolby Home Theatre v4. This software alone I find makes my Amperior's sound amazing and even my speakers. My Laptop hard wise is your generic Realtek crap as my desktop but the SQ that comes from it is very good. Surprisingly good. The difference between that and my desktop and Samsung Galaxy 2 is grand. As for volume, 30% drives my headphones loud. Amperiors are low at 18 ohm impedance but I ask will an amp expand the sound?

I personally like cool software especially EQ's. This has drawn me to the Creative X-fi HD USB sound card. Reviews are mixed but I assume it will be miles better than what I have. I can get it for $66. I also game so the software would be even more useful. The Asus Xonar U7 will come out shortly but I've seen it might top around $150 which is too much. 

But then there are USB DAC's that are completely hardware, plug and play, and that is it. No EQ other than bass boost. Can I still get the sound I like? I prefer a Rock EQ where low and highs are heightend while the mids are surpressed. 

So I ask you Head-Fi, what product on the market would suit me best. I want the best sound for my headphones for my money. 

May 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Anyone have a clue on what I should get for my Amperiors? I am now looking at the Audioengine D1 and the Fiio E17, trying to find deals or buy them used. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back