Need a sturdy IEM, something I can sleep with...
Jan 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xarmydis

New Head-Fier
I have an Audio Technica ATH-ANC3, which was great, sounded great, and was comfortable with T-400's on them...but they got damaged since I fall asleep and they roll around, and the cords were weak. I also need something that can isolate sound well. My roommate keeps the TV on about 8 feet from my bed, and I want to be able NOT to hear it, or for it to be irrelevant with music on. All for around $100? =D College students budget! I can probably extend that a BIT, but not much more.

Recommendations?

<3

--Sam

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 8
The Westone 1s are extremely comfortable and isolates very well. You should have no problem lying on your side with them in your ears. THe UE700s are also tiny and should be easy to sleep with. You may be able to find them at ~$100 during sales. 

Keep in mind I'm making these recommendations without regard to your sound signature preferences.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 8
All my sleep headphones tend to get abused.  Either they get ripped out when turning, snag on something, or I just like being able to sleepily take them out and toss them off the bed, without having to worry about carefully wrapping them up and putting them in a case.

For that reason, I go cheap for "sleep iems" -  Meelec m6 and I absolutely love them!

Just something to think about, I guess.    

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 8
As for sound preferences...I listen to a lot of JRock, heavy rock music, Rise Against/Billy Talenty, and classic rock, The Who/The Eagles/those types of bands.

I don't know if this makes any difference to what was recommended. :X I'll look into those though!

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 8
The Sony EX510, Brainwavz M4 are recommended and both sound very good for the price as well fit snugly.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 8
I appreciate everyone's recommendations, however, I think I'm going to go with the Westone 1's. I saw their cord, and there is no way in hell I could tear them up unless they were paper thin, not to mention they come with foam plugs, which should isolate the horrific shows that are Conan and The Office.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Tell your room mate to use earphones to listen to the TV.  Problem solved.

I do understand your problem though.  I live in an apartment with an apartment above me in a wood structure that has little to no sound insulation.  I LIVE with iem's in my ears and have a huge problem finding iem's that are both comfortable, cheap, decent sound signature (prefer flat, but accept slightly bass forward since that is what most cheaper iem's have) and won't hurt my ears or easily break while sleeping.

I have developed lots of methods for keeping them from breaking, but have yet to find ANY that don't hurt my ears and reduce noise at the same time.

I guess I am saying that I am no help, but am looking for the same or similar thing you are. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back