Need a split headphone cable
May 20, 2016 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

93EXCivic

100+ Head-Fier
I need a split headphone cable with 3.5mm male connectors and don't care too much about the length for a little project I am doing. Where can I find one quickly for not a lot of money? Right now I just need one of passable quality (nothing expensive and custom like Toxic or whiplash). I will probably make a custom one later but for now I need something quick.

May 20, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 4
  I need a split headphone cable with 3.5mm male connectors and don't care too much about the length for a little project I am doing. Where can I find one quickly for not a lot of money? Right now I just need one of passable quality (nothing expensive and custom like Toxic or whiplash). I will probably make a custom one later but for now I need something quick.

"Split"? Like it has two 3.5mm connectors for two amplifiers? Why?

Or do you mean "dual entry" cables? Ex 3.5mm stereo on the amp side then splits into 3.5mm mono for each ear cup at the other end?

If it's the latter that's going to be difficult - only single entry headphones (ie one cable on the left earcup) use 3.5mm (alternately, AKG uses that miniXLR plug). Dual entry deisgns typically use proprietary connectors like Sennheiser's tiny plastic ones that are a PITA to solder in if you're not good with a soldering gun, or 2.5mm mono plugs - the main concern being weight.

Some HiFiMans however don't use the older screw-on plugs, but I'm not sure if the mono TRS on those are 2.5mm or 3.5mm. Even then if you searched for HiFiMan cables on eBay they're a bit expensive.

May 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Dual entry cable.

I could change up to use 2.5mm mono instead.

What do the Meze use?

I can't tell from the info on the website, but if I'd make a guess based on the photos of the cables at the bottom of the page, they look like two 3.5mm at the earcup end.

At this point you have another problem though. If these are the headphones you'll use them on it's not just the pole size that's the problem but the overall diameter of the plug, given how the socket is build into the cup. For example a fat Amphenol 3.5mm mono, which is fairly common on websites and even brick and mortar stores, might not get into position to go into the socket at the earcup end. It's nothing like AKG with less consideration for looks and basically having the XLR socket sticking out the left earcup, while avoiding the ergonomic issues of having it sticking out the bottom (vs the initial run of the LCD-2 for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back