Need a second pair of IEM and owned IE8 now
Apr 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gameboy115

Headphoneus Supremus
There is nothing wrong with IE8. I just want to try another IEM which is different from IE8.

As I want to keep as much as money in my pocket, my budget only allows to purchase a PFE, first choice, or second hand high end IEM. I basically want transparent, clarity, netural/cold, detail and I could care less on bass. Listen to pop, R&B mostly.

My question how PFE comparing with tri fi 10 pro and er4p? I like to have opinion from anyone who have either two of them.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is nothing wrong with IE8. I just want to try another IEM which is different from IE8.

As I want to keep as much as money in my pocket, my budget only allows to purchase a PFE, first choice, or second hand high end IEM. I basically want transparent, clarity, netural/cold, detail and I could care less on bass. Listen to pop, R&B mostly.

My question how PFE comparing with tri fi 10 pro and er4p? I like to have opinion from anyone who have either two of them.

I would say it's time for you to go full-size or portable headphone, personally (you can seriously do much better than the XD200, although they're not uber horrible), unless you really enjoy the IEM's that much more than full size. You already got the SF5pro as backup anyway it seems.

But if you insist on doing so, then PFE's are a good choice.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Although both having similar U shaped freq response, i still hear quite noticeable different between both.

Since u already have E3, might as well try phonak or er4p for a kick. Or just keep the money LOL

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 8
No budget mentioned. I'd say the PFEs are a great choice, listening to them right now (Clip and T4), and very different from IE8s. But to be safe, get the white ones (safe from the nefarious cracking issue that seems to have only infected the black PFEs). I have the white ones, no cracks. If budget is no issue, then get Westones, but you may not keep your IE8s if you do (and they Westones fit well and you get their primo SQ). I've owned the IE8s and now the IE7s, and selling the latter because they just can't stack up to the W3s the way I prefer to hear music.

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say it's time for you to go full-size or portable headphone, personally (you can seriously do much better than the XD200, although they're not uber horrible), unless you really enjoy the IEM's that much more than full size. You already got the SF5pro as backup anyway it seems.

But if you insist on doing so, then PFE's are a good choice.

Great suggestion. May be I should move up to portable or full size headphone for a kick. What do you suggest for a beginner like me?

PFE seems to be an alternative ......

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Typical "good" beginner headphones include Denon D1001, Grado SR60 and Audio Technica AD700. All three are fine choices but the D1001 would give you the most portability if you like to move around often. Or if you can stretch the budget, Sennheiser HD25 is a fine choice. Since you are in Toronto, you can give all of them (besides the AD700 which is hard to find in Canada) a try at Bay and Bloor Radio.

If you want really portable headband headphones, then there are Koss Portapros and PX100, but you may find those lacking based on what you already have. Since you were able to afford the IE8's I'm sure you can go for the ones I listed above.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back