Need a round on/off DIP
Apr 20, 2008 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
So my Corda 2Move has a great little feature where you can use a USB connection either for feeding the DAC and power, or just for power. The problem is that you set which you want by an internal jumper, which requires taking the amp apart to get to. I would like to be able to switch back and forth in an easier manner since this amp is already moving all over my house several times a day.

What I'm thinking is a simple DIP switch connected to the two posts, a hole drilled into the side of the sturdy metal case to stick it through, and a bit of glue or somesuch to hold it in place. I have not the tools to cut a rectangular hole, and since I only need a single switch that would be useless anyway. Not being a DIY guy I'm wondering how to find such a part, if it exists.

Recommendations for any other small, round, and low profile switches appreciated as well.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Describe the jumper, please.

You don't want a DIP switch. You're looking for an SPST or an SPDT depending on what it is that needs to be done.

SPST connects the wires or leaves the wires open. i.e., set the jumper or remove it.

SPDT connects the wires 2 ways, going through a common end. Look at it as a source selector. If you have a 3-pin jumper and you group 2 for one setting and group the other 2 for the other, as illustrated below.

Code:

Code:
[left]*--* * or * *--*[/left]

BTW, some switches are circular with a nut. So just drill, wire, and put it in place and hold down with the clamping nut. There are small ones that you can get at electronics stores or surplus electronics stores. Sometimes the small ones are used in portable amps as a power switch, if you want to get a better idea.

The Corda 2Move uses one for crossfeed.

There are others that are pushbutton and not a toggle type switch.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 4
In this case it is a simple on/off jumper, two posts. Jumper is in place, the USB overrides the analog in. If it's off, the USB only provides power.

I understand that DIP switches are electronically different by definition, but I'd like a SPST that is similarly small. A small push button could work as well I suppose, as long as it didn't protrude from the case very much.

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Do you have a picture? You may be able to go with a PCB mount if the jumper is near the edge of the case and nothing is in the way. Solder it directly to the jumper pins and shrinkwrap. This would potentially be the easiest way, if it applies. Not much wiring (if any at all), something to mount to, etc.

for a panel mount pushbutton.Check out http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/EBbushingMount.pdf about 1/3" panel protrusion. You can take off the button and cut the stem and just use the stem as well. It's a bit ghetto, though.

If that's still too big, and you definitely want to use adhesive (which will always fail due to the repeated stress of pushing the button), you can go with tactile switches. Look for the projected tactile switches so it can protrude through the panel. Mount a button on it, perhaps. If there's enough room, you may be able to solder it to a PCB, and mount the PCB to the panel using screws and spacers around the button. It's not as pretty, but it'll be more secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back