Need a recommendation on a portable headphone!
Nov 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Preference22

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

First of all, I'm new to the forum and read a few reviews today. Awesome work on the reviews, very detailed!

Okay, the reason why I made this thread. I bought myself an iPhone 4S on the release and now I'm looking for a portable headphone (over-ear or on-ear)!
So what it has to have or has to do:

- Portable headphone (no earplugs!): Over-ear or On-ear
- Cable longer then 1.5 meter
- They should be comfortable to have on for a longer time (2-4 hours)
- I travel a lot in public, so prefer closed ones!
- I listen a lot to Drum & Bass or Dubstep, so a good bass is a must :)!
- The headphones MUST have a remote+mic in the cable. This is so I can activate Siri without having to take my iPhone out of my pocket! (So no gaming mic on the side!)
- Budget is around 120 euros or 160 dollars!

I have been looking myself for the Sennheiser HD238i, but from what I have read they aren't the headphones for my kind of music.

So, please give me your idea or thoughts. I'm standing open for basically any suggestion!

Thanks from The Netherlands!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 8
They may not have the bass response you're looking for, but one to consider would be the Marshall Majors. They are on-ear, but one of the more comfortable on-ear headphones I've tried. The cable is coiled, which is nice for portable use and the newest models of the Major have the built-in microphone. They can be found for as little as $89 online. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, I have looked at the Major Marshalls. They arent that bad, but the bass will be a bit too low most likely. But for that price they are extremely good! Just got to wait till I get more suggestions :)

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm planning on picking up a pair eventually, so I'll be sure to post a review on them. It won't be for a while, so that may not benefit you as much, but never hurts to get another opinion!

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 8
I ran into a topic in which someone has reviewed 95 headphones. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-95-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-ah-d1100-added-10-30-11)

In this I read almost every review so far in my price-range and came to the conclusion that the Marshall Major isn't that good for the money you pay for it.
Also a good tip for you in this case, I figured out which of the headphones are better for me. (Maybe even usefull for you!)

The headphones I stumbled on:

- Sennheiser PX 200-II
- AKG K518DJ
- AKG K430

I am going to the store this afternoon to test these 3 and see which I like the best. I'll let you know what I find out!

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 8
ATH ES7

- Portable headphone (no earplugs!): Over-ear or On-ear                                          its on ear 
- Cable longer then 1.5 meter                                                                              long cable
- They should be comfortable to have on for a longer time (2-4 hours)                    with a bit of easy modding, very comfy
- I travel a lot in public, so prefer closed ones!                                                            closed
- I listen a lot to Drum & Bass or Dubstep, so a good bass is a must :)!                 absolutely sick bass
- The headphones MUST have a remote+mic in the cable. This is so I can activate Siri without having to take my iPhone out of my pocket! (So no gaming mic on the side!)                 this im not sure about
Budget is around 120 euros or 160 dollars!                                                            can be had for pretty cheap, picked up mine for 90!

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 8
One you should definitely look into is the Sennheiser PX 360. It's around ear and has massive bass...far different from any other Senn model I've listened too. They also isolate better (both sound coming in and sound leaving) than most portables I've heard. They are a tad weak on the mids, but overall I was really impressed with how they sounded and how well they can be driven from an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back