Need a recommendation for the ~$100 price range.
Jul 15, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #18 of 54
I can tell you the Sony MDR-V6's would be a good choice, but I've never heard the A500's, so I can't tell you which sounds better.

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
I can tell you the Sony MDR-V6's would be a good choice, but I've never heard the A500's, so I can't tell you which sounds better.

where can i get those? i heard they were discontinued.

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #20 of 54
Jul 15, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #21 of 54
well everything i can find on the grado sr-80s says they sound great but are too uncomfortable. would those earpads i linked above make them comfortable...or would they not make a difference at all?

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollux
well everything i can find on the grado sr-80s says they sound great but are too uncomfortable. would those earpads i linked above make them comfortable...or would they not make a difference at all?

actually i highly recommend you do not get the grados - they are VERY open, which mean your sound bleeds out to annoy your roomie, and in turn the drunken party across the hall WILL reach your ears. get closed cans, like the sony V6.

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 54
Grados are not that uncomfortable. Almost all headphones are uncomfortable at the beginning since you are not used to them, and since you are going to be using them for long periods of time, then you'll get used to them in about 1 week, after that, you won't even feel them. That is their beauty, when you get used to them, you won't even feel them on, but still you'll have really good sound.

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
actually i highly recommend you do not get the grados - they are VERY open, which mean your sound bleeds out to annoy your roomie, and in turn the drunken party across the hall WILL reach your ears. get closed cans, like the sony V6.

im a little worried about getting closed phones...ive read that they having mushy sound quality compared to open ones. is this the case with sony V6 or A500? btw, my current sound set-up is a logitech z640 5.1 system, so im sure itll be a huge step-up, but i dont want to be dissapointed and feel the urge to get something better.

so comparing the V6 to A500, which is better for me? the A500 are $30 more, so im assuming theyre better. but just to make sure, which is best for music/games/movies, how do they compare in soundstage, and how do they compare in highs/mids/bass? also, since theyre closed, which offers better isolation and comfortability?

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #25 of 54
All of your questions were answered by posts in earliers threads concerning the A500 and the HD280. You can find them by using the search function and typing in the product in question. That's usually how I find the answers to my questions before I even start a new thread. This is universal for any forum. From what I've read, the A500 seems to be a better product overall. It's more balanced and "complete" in its sound. But be aware that this is only hearsay.

I'm also in the same position as you, looking for a good ~$100 pair of cans. I want to try a closed can just for the sake of owning one. I'm really new at this whole audiophile headphone stuff. My only other serious headphone is the HD497. Though they are a step above anything I've heard or owned previously, I can't imagine that is the best my ears will ever get to hear. Now I'm looking into the $100 range phones, and I came to the conclusion of looking foward to purchase the A500 for closed. I might consider the Senn HD555 for open at the same price range at some other time.

Oh, and I believe this is my first post.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I'm sorry for my wallet as it is, because it longs for monetary company.
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 54
I ordered a pair of v6 this week for the same reasons you are. Movies/games/music.But I will use it in my house where the AC/fans/people are loud. I'll tell you how well they work when they arrive.

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #28 of 54
Well if you really want to take a stab at under 100 and you dont mind the open can, don't get a Grado SR-80. Get an Alessandro MS-1, which is like a more neutral SR-125. And the price is $99 which includes shipping - direct from www.alessandro-products.com. The MS-1 is made by Grado, so you can consider it a "Bizarro Grado" if you like.

Jul 16, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miester_V
Damnit I just ordered an ATH A500 for $116.
lambda.gif
I hope it doesn't go on sale within the next month, or I'll be pissed.
mad.gif

ok, ive narrowed it down to the V6, HD280 Pro, and A500. the V6 is $30 cheaper than both of them. is the sound quality difference between the V6 and the other 2 worth $30?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back