Need a recommendation for the ~$100 price range.
Jul 15, 2004 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Pollux

New Head-Fier
In august, I will be going off to college and living in a dorm. I need a set of headphones in the ~$100 price range that are good for playing pc games, watching movies, and listening to music. I considered the Sennheiser HD280 pros, but I've read that sealed headphones have poorer sound quality. I've also read that the Grado SR-80s are really good for listening to music, but aren't too comfortable. So I have a few questions. Is this a good idea for what I need:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0020090080

I also will pick up these earpads, but I'm not sure if they're compatible. if they are, how difficult are they to put on? is it easy and safe to remove the original pads and put these on? although its not a necessity, would the sr-80s provide good isolation from outside noise, and can they be used at moderately high volumes without annoying my roomate?

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0060090005

If u know a better earpad solution, please suggest it. Would the grado sr-80s with those earpads give me good sound quality for music, movies, AND games...and will they be comfortable to wear for long durations of times...like 2+ hours? also, I DONT want to have to get an amp...they would put me too far out of my price range. Can the sr-80s peform as great as many claim they will powered soley by pc and not an amp. and if i choose to go portable (which is rarely...maybe if i pick up an mp3 player in the future), will it peform well w/o the amp? I use Nvidia soundstorm, which is comparable to an audigy 1 sound card. What do u recommend?

also, if this helps, i listen to alternative rock, some techno, some metal, as well as lighter acoustical stuff...basically a mixture of rock genres...and various other generes. the games i play are fps like farcry, battlefield 1942/vietnam, morrowind, world of warcraft when it comes out (thats why they need to be comfortable for long periods), and many others.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 54
The 280's are a great choice if you need isolation, if you don't the AKG 240s is very nice though a bit bassy... mind you I don't like a ton of bass.

BTW, if you have a Guitar Center near you, the 280's can be had for $60-80 and the 240s can be had for $73. These are negotiated prices though, so you have to be willing to haggle your price down. Probably the best way is to say you'll take it for half the posted price ($99 for either one) and let them talk you up.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The 280's are a great choice if you need isolation, if you don't the AKG 240s is very nice though a bit bassy... mind you I don't like a ton of bass.

i dont NEED isolation...its just a bonus. my primary concern is perfomance un-amped in games, music, and movies for the price.

Jul 15, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 54
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

For college i'd really recommend closed cans: it stops others bothering you as much as you bothering others. IMHO after hearing the A900 and reading on here, around $100 the A500 are probably the best bang for buck. They don't need an amp either, i'm running my 900s out of a PC headphone socket and they sound pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

(To save everyone clicking, those links just go to the Grado SR80s and big pads at headroom)

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 54
i'm also looking for college headphones at a price around $100. i've heard good things about Sennheiser HD280 pro and the Sony MDR-7506. how do these compare to the ATH-A500? one of my biggest concerns is comfort - i've played games for long durations (4+hours). so i pretty much rules out grados right away.

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 54
If you like comfort then i strongly do not reccomend the Sennheiser 280pros

i had (as sold) a pair, and while they have great sound, to increase isolation it clamps very tightly around your head. I couldnt use it for more than an hour or so at a stretch.

on the plus side they have excellent sound for their price and their isolation is impressive

regs
Kurt

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirvy
If you like comfort then i strongly do not reccomend the Sennheiser 280pros

i had (as sold) a pair, and while they have great sound, to increase isolation it clamps very tightly around your head. I couldnt use it for more than an hour or so at a stretch.

on the plus side they have excellent sound for their price and their isolation is impressive

regs
Kurt

Actually, after a few weeks they become extreamly comfortable...

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 54
so then help me narrow it down:

sony mdr-7506
sennheiser hd280pro
akg k240s
audio-technica ath-a500

they're all $100
i want comfort and performance, and hopefully a terminating 1/8" jack

Jul 15, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 54
Yup, the SR-80's are pretty good for this situation, and right now I am selling them since I bought the ety's er-6, I could sell them at $60, if you're interested, PM me.

Jul 15, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Actually, after a few weeks they become extreamly comfortable...

maybe your head shrunk?

i dunno i used to use books to stretch them, but still no luck

after i think 2 months i could stand them any more so i sold them. On the plus side my head isnt small so that could be a reason

Jul 15, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 54
I would not recommend the grados for college. my brother just got the SR-60's and they arent as uncomfortable as everyone says. I think stock headphones are alot more uncomfortable then the grados.

But in terms of confort, the A900's take the cake imo. The A500 is basicly the same thing made with a cheaper driver, and cheaper parts, but i believe the body remains unchanged.

I would definatley recommend the A900/500/700's but the grados are way to open for a dorm, i would personaly be very annoyed to hear my roommates music. basicly grados leak the same amount of sound off and on your head.

Good luck! :A900smile:

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 54
so who sells the A500s? also, keep in mind i dont NEED isolation. i will only be living in a dorm for a semester...or year tops. do the A500s have better sound quality than the sr-80s, neither using an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back