Need a recommendation for pair of over-ears
Nov 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

prelic

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I know there's a million threads about recommendations, so I'm sorry that I'm making another, but I know exactly what I want in terms of characteristics, just need some of that vast Head-Fi knowledge to make a recommendation.  If this is against the rules, feel free to remove.

Anyway, I've had a bunch of pairs of IEMs, currently Ultimate Ears 500vi, which I like very much despite their disappointingly quiet and sometimes inconsistent sound.  I wear them at work as a software dev. for 8+ hours a day, and I'm ready to pick up a pair of over-ears, partly for their sound quality and partly because I've never owned a good pair of over-ears.  The majority of my listening is punk, metalcore, and hip-hop, no amp (yet).  My priorities are, in order from most to least desired:

-Comfort
-
-
-Sound quality/stage (sound quality reasonably suited to my tastes; I really enjoy a full, close sound-stage)
-Looks
-
-Size (half for looks, half for endurance/comfort, so I guess the smaller the better)
-Sound leakage (prefer closed-back, but open-minded (eh? eh? hah))
-
-Cost (I'd like to stay under/around $250)

I've done a little bit of research myself, and was about to pull the trigger on some ATH-M50s, but decided to come here first because I'm thinking they may be a little large, not as comfortable as I'd like, and I've read on here that they're just generally over-rated.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I really appreciate it, and I apologize again for the recommendation thread!

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Do you commute with them? If so, I'd go for something like the Shure SRH840 if you commute with them. I would also consider a Fischer Audio FA-003. Being closed kind of limits your options quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back