Need a recommendation for headphones
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #16 of 34
Thanks everybody, I understand that the Grado SR80 is great, but i prefer an around ear headphones, I don't really like headphones that sit on the ear, like the Grado SR80.
The Audio Technica are like the Grados, or it's surrounds the ear? It's hard to tell from the pictures.
And as for the Denon AH-D1001s, I'll consider them, they are a bit out of my price range, but I will see if i can find them in a cheap price.
Now, generally I really like Sennheiser. HD555 look like good headphones from what I've read, and I've just found them 109$ including shipping on ebay. Are they good?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PRL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everybody, I understand that the Grado SR80 is great, but i prefer an around ear headphones, I don't really like headphones that sit on the ear, like the Grado SR80.
The Audio Technica are like the Grados, or it's surrounds the ear? It's hard to tell from the pictures.
And as for the Denon AH-D1001s, I'll consider them, they are a bit out of my price range, but I will see if i can find them in a cheap price.
Now, generally I really like Sennheiser. HD555 look like good headphones from what I've read, and I've just found them 109$ including shipping on ebay. Are they good?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The AD700s are very much around ear. They're big. That'd be good for you since you said your ears are big.

AM1.jpg

They're also highly praised around here. More love for the AD700 than there is for the HD555.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700s are very much around ear. They're big. That'd be good for you since you said your ears are big.

AM1.jpg

They're also highly praised around here. More love for the AD700 than there is for the HD555.

Thanks, now from the pic, i can see they're really surround the ear.
BTW, I've just noticed the band (or whatever it's called lol, sorry, I'm Israeli) is kind of weird. doesn't it press your head too much? :O

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Thanks, now from the pic, i can see they're really surround the ear.
BTW, I've just noticed the band (or whatever it's called lol, sorry, I'm Israeli) is kind of weird. doesn't it press your head too much? :O

I wouldn't know exactly how comfy it is, since I don't own them. The two curved bars are the top are for support and unless your head is really really big shouldn't touch you. The pads swing out with pressure, so they'll sort of mold to the top of your head. If you look closely, you can see the far one is pushed up a little by the Grado.

Grado headbands on the other hand are very uncomfortable until you get used to them. Since the headphones themselves are so light (until you get to the 325) it only puts a little pressure on you. Even light clamping will hold low-end Grados in place without much of a headband.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't know exactly how comfy it is, since I don't own them. The two curved bars are the top are for support and unless your head is really really big shouldn't touch you. The pads swing out with pressure, so they'll sort of mold to the top of your head. If you look closely, you can see the far one is pushed up a little by the Grado.

Grado headbands on the other hand are very uncomfortable until you get used to them. Since the headphones themselves are so light (until you get to the 325) it only puts a little pressure on you. Even light clamping will hold low-end Grados in place without much of a headband.

OK, so i guess I'll buy the AD700, hope I won't get disappointed. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

OK, so i guess I'll buy the AD700, hope I won't get disappointed. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

just a fair warning, I returned my AD700 due to thin sound. Not having any impactful bass is sort of a turn off. I did love the airyness of the set and want that captured in a closed can for as little money as possible.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeloxlong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a fair warning, I returned my AD700 due to thin sound. Not having any impactful bass is sort of a turn off. I did love the airyness of the set and want that captured in a closed can for as little money as possible.

I really don't know what to think now
confused_face(1).gif

Everyone say something else, about every headphone!
How can i decide what to buy?
confused_face.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

I really don't know what to think now
confused_face(1).gif

Everyone say something else, about every headphone!
How can i decide what to buy?
confused_face.gif

You want replacement for you old Bose headphones you didn't like, what exactly is it you didn't like about them and what are you looking for in a new pair of headphones?

The headphones mentioned in this thread have a specific flavour: the Grado's are very forward and bright (to some aggressive) and the Audio Technica AD700's are known for their huge soundstage but lean (to some weak) bass.
Do you like a forward sound? More forward anyways than your old Bose?
Do you mind a somewhat leaner bass, less bass than your old Bose?

You may want to look first for a more neutral balanced headphone, one without any emphasize or lack at both ends

For open Headphones I would recommend the Sennheiser HD595's.
Perfectly balanced between laid-back and more forward.
For closed the Sure SRH-440's for instance or the Audio Technica A500's (no lean bass)
All mentioned are 'around ears'.

Unless you are able to compare headphones in a shop, it is always trial and error in a way, but if you are not sure what it is you're looking for in a new pair of headphones, try to avoid the extremes and go for a more 'neutral' headphone.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want replacement for you old Bose headphones you didn't like, what exactly is it you didn't like about them and what are you looking for in a new pair of headphones?

The headphones mentioned in this thread have a specific flavour: the Grado's are very forward and bright (to some aggressive) and the Audio Technica AD700's are known for their huge soundstage but lean (to some weak) bass.
Do you like a forward sound? More forward anyways than your old Bose?
Do you mind a somewhat leaner bass, less bass than your old Bose?

You may want to look first for a more neutral balanced headphone, one without any emphasize or lack at both ends

For open Headphones I would recommend the Sennheiser HD595's.
Perfectly balanced between laid-back and more forward.
For closed the Sure SRH-440's for instance or the Audio Technica A500's (no lean bass)
All mentioned are 'around ears'.

Unless you are able to compare headphones in a shop, it is always trial and error in a way, but if you are not sure what it is you're looking for in a new pair of headphones, try to avoid the extremes and go for a more 'neutral' headphone.

On the contrary, I loved my old Boss!
Can you recommend me about a "neutral" headphones, like you said, but still comfortable?
I like Sennheiser in general, I'm very pleased with my CX400, but the HD595's are too expansive for me. How are the HD555? Or maybe something from the HD2XX series?
Oh, and what about the Audio Technica A500's? Thery are basically like the AD700 just without a lean bass?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #28 of 34
The A500's don't have that ultra large soundstage as the AD700s, but out of all the closed headphones I have heard (including my D5000s) they have the widest soundstage (almost indentical to their bigger brother the A900s)
And the bass is excellent, considering the price, almost the same quantity as my D5000s and they are known for their big bass.
If you go for the closed headphones A-series of Audio Technica, I would avoid the A700's, they (just like their open brother the AD700) are bass light and have too much treble energy compared to the A500s and A900s.

For open headphones the HD555's are great, have a look at the closed HD448 as well
Sennheiser HD 448 - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Oh and what about the M50s?
What is your budget?
http://www.headphone.com/selection-g...ca-ath-m50.php

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A500's don't have that ultra large soundstage as the AD700s, but out of all the closed headphones I have heard (including my D5000s) they have the widest soundstage (almost indentical to their bigger brother the A900s)
And the bass is excellent, considering the price, almost the same quantity as my D5000s and they are known for their big bass.
If you go for the closed headphones A-series of Audio Technica, I would avoid the A700's, they (just like their open brother the AD700) are bass light and have too much treble energy compared to the A500s and A900s.

For open headphones the HD555's are great, have a look at the closed HD448 as well
Sennheiser HD 448 - Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Oh and what about the M50s?
What is your budget?
Audio Technica ATH-M50 with straight cable - Full Size Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

My budget is about 100$ dollars (on ebay), and I don't mind if the headphones would be closed or opened, it doesn't matter for me. If opened headphones are better in these price ranges, I'd rather taking an opened headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back