Need a recommendation ($150-200)
Feb 14, 2010 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

denimjunkie82

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of IEMs. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-EX90's for the past few years, and am now looking for something with higher sound quality and comfort - and a remote would be a bonus.

I'll be using it on my Nexus One, just sitting on the train and at work (not exercising). It's not the best in terms of sound quality, but it still beats the hell out of my 1st gen nano. I will probably want to spend about $150-200 (but lower would be fine too if it's great bang for the buck). Like I said, a remote with a mic and track control would be a great bonus, but I'm primarily concerned about SQ.

I listen to primarily rock. I would love clear, clean bass (from bass guitar or from rap beats), doesn't need to be super loud. I would love a warm, clean sounding midrange from the guitars. And I'd love clear, crisp highs from cymbals but not overwhelming that it hurts my ears. basically, quality over volume please. Accuracy > muddy; clean > tinny or bright.

I'm pretty unsavvy in terms of EIMs, been browsing for a few weeks and am getting overwhelmed. However, after cycling through a few thousand dollars worth of car audio during my college years, I consider myself to be very particular to SQ and have the ear to hear the differences.

p.s. Whatever the driver I pick, I'm probably gonna use the budget DIY earplug foams for them. And I will not be using any amp (I read that RE0's need an amp to really shine). And "L" shaped jack would be a bonus as well.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
denimjunkie82

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 6
RE0s most definitely do not need an amp. They also have good synergy with earplug tips, which emphasize bass and warmth. I don't think they would be in any way a bad choice.

That said, for $200, you might consider phones like the CK10. They're similar in sound to the RE0 but according to reviewers who have had both they're a huge step up. I think you should go for them.

EDIT: As for the mic thing, if the Nexus One is compatible with the iPhone headsets, the klipsch image x10i and ultimate ears Triple.fi 10vi are also some to strongly consider.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0s most definitely do not need an amp.

Actually that's not quite true. They need an amp to shine. However unamped is good as well but it just doesn't bring out the full potential but the amp has to be a good amp as well which would be a lot more than the cost of the RE0.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that's not quite true. They need an amp to shine. However unamped is good as well but it just doesn't bring out the full potential but the amp has to be a good amp as well which would be a lot more than the cost of the RE0.

You could say that about any pair of headphones
tongue.gif
.A cheaper amp adds some body to the sound, but even without one they should beat his sonys handily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back