Need a recomendation
May 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Smith&headphone

New Head-Fier
Guys, It has been a very long time since I have been on here and I am a bit out of touch with the current market.

I am looking for some nice headphones for all round music, and will be for use with my ipod classic 80 gig and my laptop.

I have a budget of around £100-£150 depending on how good the headphones are. Also I'd like them to be fairly attractive if possible.

I am relying on the experiance and knowledge of you guys so thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 13
your criteria fits the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 bill perfectly!
smily_headphones1.gif

one of the best(if not the best) portable phones sonically, SEXY(wood!) and folds flat, fits your budget. what more can you ask for?
tongue.gif

May 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 13
As far as sound goes, I'd recomen the Beyerdynamic DT770-80's. They have very good highs and good, although slightly recessed mids, but what these cans do best is bass. The bass on them is deep and clear.
The soundstage on the Beyers is very small, putting you right in the middle of the stage, something some people like, others not so much.

The only drawbacks I see are that they are a bit power hungry and therefore run better with an amp, although its not needed. The other problem is that they aren't especially nice to look at, although not bad. They do become sexy beasts if they're Darth Beyered (woodied), but that'll run you another 146-360 Euros for a woody and a recable.

May 4, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 13
I'd recommend the Ultrasone HFI 680 or HFI 780 (more bass than the 680). They perform very well without an amp and they look absolutely gorgeous with shiny aluminum cups. Plus they sound very good.

May 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as sound goes, I'd recomen the Beyerdynamic DT770-80's. They have very good highs and good, although slightly recessed mids, but what these cans do best is bass. The bass on them is deep and clear.
The soundstage on the Beyers is very small, putting you right in the middle of the stage, something some people like, others not so much.

The only drawbacks I see are that they are a bit power hungry and therefore run better with an amp, although its not needed. The other problem is that they aren't especially nice to look at, although not bad. They do become sexy beasts if they're Darth Beyered (woodied), but that'll run you another 146-360 Euros for a woody and a recable.

They have good highs? that's a news to me.

If you can find a used denon D2000, that might be up your allley.

May 4, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you can find a used denon D2000, that might be up your allley.

X2 on a D2000. It has pretty good bass and is sealed too. If you want massive bass then get the base minimum Darths from Larry at Headphile.

May 4, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 13
I should of said that I currently have beyyer 231's that I paid 30 quid for or like 45 euros for 4 years ago and they are great but ugly.

I am gona google the other beyyers.

Edit:

OK just been on amazon, what is the difference between the dt770 and the dt880 as there is only a 15 pound price difference.

And how much would I be looking at on an amp, either a portable or a desk based one? (nothing special thou)

May 4, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Smith&headphone, depending on the quality of your laptop's soundcard you might want to get an external DAC as well. I know my laptop's headphone-out is absolutely rubbish, so I got a Corda Move (which can be used as an external soundcard/DAC and amplifier) for my Beyer DT770/80 Pros. There are cheaper DAC/amplifier combos, though, such as the Total Bithead.

May 5, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smith&headphone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK just been on amazon, what is the difference between the dt770 and the dt880 as there is only a 15 pound price difference.

Lots. Completely different headphones IMO. DT880 is quite neutral with emphasis on treble section, whereas DT770s have focus on bass section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smith&headphone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how much would I be looking at on an amp, either a portable or a desk based one? (nothing special thou)

DT770 80ohms doesn't need an amp IMHO, but improves with a dedicated amp - your soundcard should drive them fine.

DT880, on the other hand, needs an amp - I recommend home amps rather than portables. If you're going to listen to music from your laptop, you might need a dac, if not, I recommend Meier Arietta at around 250$.

May 5, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMHO that is.

May 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 13
So just a quick bump on this are people backing the DT770's?

Also I am gona get rid of my ipod and get something else, I will read up but what mp3 players have good amps in them? And Ideall i need about 40 gig of space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back