Need a recomendation for full size headphones, coming from high-end IEMs
Oct 31, 2015 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RojasTKD

500+ Head-Fier
I've mainly used IEMs over the past several years. Currently have the Shure SE530, SE846 and the JH Audio Roxanne.

But wanted to try a full size headphone for a change of  pace in see how they compare to IEMs. I ordered a manufacturer Repackaged/referb(?) AKG K712 pro that should arrive next week. I read good things and am interested in seeing what open headphones have to offer. I hear they great for gaming too.

Also wanted some closed headphones for those times when open would not work. Just got the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X in the mail today and was a bit underwhelmed. Is it possible the high-end IMS I own really are stellar and far superior to the M50x? Or the M50x just several notches below the IEMs I have and my ears are really disliking the sound? perhaps I need to spend more to get over ears that will satisfy my me. I'm ready to ship M50x back. I'll give them another listen tonight, but am fairly certain they are going back.

Just bought some Beyerdynamic DT-770 (80 ohms) from ebay, do you think I the DT-770 will be a better/more pleasing, or should I just save up and get something in the $300 - $400 range (more).

Recommendations?

Thanks........

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 2
After a few more listens I've warmed up to the M50x a bit more. They no longer sound terrible to me. I guess it was a matter of my brain adjusting to the new sound signature. Still debating on whether not to keep them.

If my DT-770 arrive soon and compare and see what I think of each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back