Need a recomendation for an all in one DAC and Amp (with plans to buy a dedicated Amp later)
Sep 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Corwin

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

For the last year I have been stupidly using my pair of HD-600s without a DAC or Amp, and only recently has it come to my knowledge that I need these things (thanks to people on /r/audiophile). Now, I'm looking for a recommendation for a DAC/headphone amp all in one. I have plans to buy a dedicated amp later (I have my eyes set on the tiny dot MKIII), once I have the funds.
Currently people have recommended the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1, however some people have doubts regarding its amplification abilities. Lastly, what difference in audio quality will  I hear once I install a DAC and amp.

Thank you all in advance.

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 5
Corwin, your questions are natural to someone just getting into headphones/amps, but you need to be specific. What have you been "stupidly" using to drive the HD600? If it was an ipod, you certainly need an upgrade. If it was an integrated amp, or even an AV amp, you may not.

Don't be too swayed by what you read here or on other audiophile forums. Old hands well know--or at least wise ones do--that many of the improvements and upgrades described here are wildly exaggerated, and that in real terms there are not huge differences between competently designed headphone amps or even between headphone amps and quality integrated amps. Reading forums will lead you to believe that a $1000 amp is 5 times better than a $200 one, when in fact in most systems and on most recordings the two may be virtually indistinquishable. For instance, a Matrix M-Stage driving an HD600 is probably as good as a Burson 160D at 4 times the price, but you won't get many clues to that fact in forums. So keep a cool head and a firm grip on your wallet, and don't read too many gushing posts, and all may turn out well for you.  
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Hey, check out Audio Gd NFB-12, at a 200$ price point, the amp section can power HD600 easily and could also run as a dedicated dac. Best buy ever... better act fast tho, i think they're gonna raise the price soon, 200$ is only a promo price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back