Need a quick answer on noise cancelling headphones!
Aug 3, 2005 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, tomorrow is my dad's birthday and he wants some headphones that will make it so that he can read in his room while my mom is watching tv. There are a couple ways to go about this, one would be noise cancelling headphones for my dad, and another would be to get some wireless headphones or headphones with a really long cord for my mom.

Which would be the best way to go about this? Also I was wondering if noise canceling headphones like the Bose QC2 really work that well for cancelling noise like a TV. Also do they work without listening to music? He just wants to cancel the sound, he won't even use them for music. If you could possibly answer quickly it would be great since his birthday is tomorrow. Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Noise cancelling headphones don't do much for TV noise. The noise cancellation circuits only work for bassy noises like airplane sounds or car noise.

You are just as well off getting some sealed headphones like AKG K26P's or just plain earplugs (way more effective than wearing a headphone)

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah that's what I assumed... so would headphones for my mom be a better choice? Or do canal phones actually block as much sound as everyone says? Thanks for the help

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Canalphones block out at least twice as much noise as most noise cancellation headphones. They are essentially earplugs that have speakers in them.

If you go to the drugstore and buy some foam earplugs, you'll get about the same effect as a canalphone.

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah I asked my mom if he could just wear earplugs but for some reason he doesn't want to... I also let him try my ath-a900's and he said they didn't block enough sound.

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Well maybe wireless for your mom might be a good idea.

Look at Sennheiser RS120's

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards right now, she usually watches TV as she goes to bed though so I'm not sure if it's such a good idea for her to fall asleep with headphones on every night. Oh well I guess I have my options now so I'll look into those sennheisers, thanks for the help

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Warpdriver is correct, NC phones are better at eliminating reflected sounds and droning noises, but let voices right through.

Canal phones for dad seems to be a great solution. He will get isolation and great sound. I always suggest Ety ER6 for canalphone newbies. Easy to get a good seal, and they sound great for the money.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back