Need a "quantity > quality" bass headphone
Jul 18, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirebottleRon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 770 bass monster is the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm not the Premimum 250 Ohm right?

You want this: DT770 Pro 80, great deals on Electronics on eBay!
51d0mtdfezlsl500aa280.jpg

Not this:
simgtos54922934ad86c9f5.jpg

That's very correct......
Though the Q40 has even more bass than the DT770 Pro 80 ohm.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #34 of 49
Bose QC2, or Dre Beats.

Really. The QC2 works better, as the "noise cancelling" creates a lot of "hum", which compliments the lower register.

They are expensive, not worth the gift for someone who doesn't appreciate quality music. Get him a pair of Sony Fontopia IEM, from what I remember, the bass is monstrous if you get a good seal.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious. What equipment has your roommate been using that has caused him to decide the DT770 have extremely weak bass?

he just has some giant noname subwoofers which he sets really loud (i think theyre part of some 5.1 speaker system, but he only uses the subwoofers). last year he lived 2 floors above me in a high rise dorm, and I could sometimes feel the walls in my room shaking from his music (not a joke)

im leaning towards those skullcrushers right now, how does their bass quantity compare to a dt770's?

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #36 of 49
"beyer" is a stupid response in the contex of this thread as it infers that if you get any beyerdynamic headphone it will give you insane lower end bass, which is ignorant, misleading rubbish.
That is why Duggeh stated What does this even mean?
And do not reply with "Beyerdynamic".

Pro900 is a quality top end headphone, not an insane bass monster in my opinion.

Scytheavatar is right, spend as little as possible as the "friend" obviously has no requirement for any quality sound whatsoever.

If the OP's friend listens to only the sub woofer of a 5.1 system, then tape the subwoofer to his head, as there isn't a headphone that can compete. Get a cheap DJ headphone and bass EQ the heck out of it. And even then the "friend" will not be satisfied, as the headphone can't shake the walls even at hearing damaging levels.

Why are we bothering with this line of enquiry given that the potential listener is someone who listens to a subwoofer only. Get him a couple of cheap subs for his car.

Doof, doof, doof, all the way home.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #37 of 49
Having heard the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, I can say the Senn HD212 Pro has definitely a lot more bass in comparison... although its like a fart-cannon. Judging by the information about your roommate, I would recommend he Senns, and they're pretty cheap!

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he just has some giant noname subwoofers which he sets really loud (i think theyre part of some 5.1 speaker system, but he only uses the subwoofers). last year he lived 2 floors above me in a high rise dorm, and I could sometimes feel the walls in my room shaking from his music (not a joke)

If that is the case, I suspect that no headphone will impress him, because no headphone will give him the chest pounding power of a good, or even not-so-good, subwoofer.

Jul 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

im leaning towards those skullcrushers right now, how does their bass quantity compare to a dt770's?

You better be!

To put it in perspective.. it uses separate batteries just for the bass. Not even any noise canceling mumbo jumbo.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

I thought so. It's quite possible that your roommate isn't taking into consideration the fact that no headphone is going to give you a full body bass effect like a subwoofer will. If that's the case, you're not going to be able to get him anything that will meet his standards. Here are my suggestions though:

I'm surprised no one has suggested the Beyerdynamic DT150 yet. I compared them to some DT770s about a year ago and I felt that they had stronger bass. Only issue is that they only come in 250 ohm, I think, so he might need an amp.

Another possible option is to get him a headphone amp with adjustable bass like the GoVibe Magnum. (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/govibe-family-431868/) I use it with my Denon D5000 and and at maximum bass, I can feel the bass vibrations through the pads.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's very correct......
Though the Q40 has even more bass than the DT770 Pro 80 ohm.

I've had them both but sold the DT770's because the Q40's have way better quantity,quality and best of all extension!IMO.
L3000.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirebottleRon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They say the Q40 is closed but it has a mesh on the back are they partial like the DT880?

They are just for look I would assume. There are no holes on them.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 49
M Audio Q40's!For under $200 i don't think they can be beaten by bass quality,quantity and extension,that doesn't overpower the highs and mids.And better then the DT770's which i also had.
L3000.gif
Sorry double post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back