Need a proper speaker enclosure for this loudspeaker
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

superdragon

Head-Fier
I have a number of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FP922P1

I'm using them for some DIY projects. The problem is that one that I have is have it mounted in the air - it is simply screwed into a wooden board. Bad bass response and not the greatest quality sound. I get better bass and a little better sound if I put a rubber tube around it. I get much better sound if I simply put a box of tissues on top of the speaker.

I'm having fun with this DIY stuff, but for the sound, I'd like the get the best, using the recommend way. Are their enclosures made specifically for this type and size speaker?

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

Editing this post to ask a second question:

For a stereo pair of these, is there a recommended minimum space between the speakers for optimal sound?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Custom speaker cabinets have alot of variables and can range from very inexpensive low density fiberwood to solid 1.5in mahogany and even open air as youve tried. Theres no specific cabinet for a transducer. You can make truncated cabinets enclosures to address standing waves, various types of baffles, sealed, ported, passive radiators single driver transmission line to open air line arrays.

As for optimal stereo positioning...
705940.jpg

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 5
I have a number of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FP922P1

I'm using them for some DIY projects. The problem is that one that I have is have it mounted in the air - it is simply screwed into a wooden board. Bad bass response and not the greatest quality sound. I get better bass and a little better sound if I put a rubber tube around it. I get much better sound if I simply put a box of tissues on top of the speaker.

I'm having fun with this DIY stuff, but for the sound, I'd like the get the best, using the recommend way. Are their enclosures made specifically for this type and size speaker?

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

That depends. You need to get the Thiele-Small parameters of those drivers, and then compute the necessary air volume and port volume if necessary (there are speaker box calculators online for this). From there you design the actual enclosure making sure to maintain that internal volume and the port if you go that route, like if you want the box to be a plain square or one with an angled front baffle, either way you need to maintain the proper internal volume. Mass loading it at the bottom and lining the sides with fiberfill also helps.

For a stereo pair of these, is there a recommended minimum space between the speakers for optimal sound?

Very generally it will depend on how you're using them.

If they're on a desk flanking a laptop you'd sit almost right where that laptop is, so in that case an upward angle or mounting them at ear height can be more crucial than absolute distance between them. However by "flanking a laptop" I don't necessarily mean "basically right next to a 7in foldable pocket laptop from Sony ten years ago that died when tablets became a thing," ie, assume you'd have about 400mm between them on a desk.

If you're using these in a living room for example you have to make the most out the room and set them as wide as you can, but you still need to try it out relative to your seat position. It's not going to help putting them 4m apart when your seat is only 1.5m away from the wall behind them. Symmetry is just as vital - putting one of them right up against a corner of the wall if not also a slanted roof will change the reflections on that side and make it louder or outright EQ the response vs the other side that isn't bouncing off a side wall.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 5
I found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-3-inc...775360?hash=item360e74e340:g:nfoAAOSwEzxYTL~m

It's bigger than I wanted, but it looks like it is exactly what I need.

Do you audiophile's agree with me? Should I get a few?

If this is good for my setup, anybody know of a U.S. seller of the same or similar product

Ty

Maybe...maybe not.

It doesn't state the port nor inner volume dimensions.

And you still don't have the T/S parameters of your speakers...this could end up totally screwing up the response if you can't match the enclosure dimensions to that.

Or if you just want to take a chance considering these might have been mass manufactured for those drivers for some other brand then I don't know...up to you. I won't stop you (not that I actually can) but I'm not exactly recommending that someone else blows money on it just to gamble on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back