Need a portable headphone amp/dac for <$50 for all music types, movies and light gaming
Jul 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

phillyd

500+ Head-Fier
I need a portable Headphone amp and DAC for my Lenovo ThinkPad Twist 2. I do some gaming, a lot of TV show/movie watching, and a lot of music playing through Klipsch Image One headphones. My sound preferences are more focused on full, warm and richness of sound, but with decent clarity. I also prefer a lot of bass by audiophile standards, but I do not like rumbling or distortion in my bass. I use mostly 320kbps MP3 but some FLAC as well. I use Foobar2000 for music. I also use Breakaway Live (audio processing software). I do not mind buying used and I do not want to spend more than $50. The cheaper the better. I am located in the US.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 18
you should check out the fireye mini, only $39, and extremely portable. good sound, should live up to your standards. yoy should also check out the fiio e11, as it is OUTSTANDING for its price, and only $55, just hardly out of price range. but you won't regret spending those extra $5

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll be getting the Fiio e11, but I'd love to hear other suggestions!

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 18
yup no problem, I'm gonna be going for the fiio e11, also the fiio e7 is affordable if you want a dac. btw fiio is known for making high value products for the money. honestly, anything below $25 will do very little to none to help your sound. my friend has the e11 and not only does it improve sound quality, clarity, and treble, but boy can it pump out the bass with 3 levels of bass boost, without overpowering the other spectrums of course! It also can power any cans you want as it has more than enough power for almost anything. also check out the cmoy bb and jds labs products

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 18
The Cmoy bb seems pretty aweseome! How's the sound quality compared to the fiio e11?

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 18
honestly, I haven't heard the cmoy bb but it has good reviews, but as compared to the e11, I can give you a firsthand comparison, but I decided on the fiio e11 as many people say it is better sound and battery. also, I love the bass boost on the e11, and, quite frankly, enough people ask me about my headphones. I dont need people asking me about an Altoids can Ahaha. but hey, its up to you, I chose the e11, but the cmoy bb has its benefits too

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 18
also, as for bass the e11 wins, easily. I have also heard it has a warmer tone and a better sound stage, although I'm not sure about detail. this is talking about the e11, so honestly I think the e11 wins out

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 18
Would I need a DAC?

EDIT: Oh yeah I see the E11 will just use the laptop audio, which is terrible.

So, I need an AMP and DAC, what do you guys suggest?

I see the Fiio E07K, but it's $90. a lot more than my budget. If I could find it cheaply used, I would love to buy it.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 18
If you're only going to be using the device from your ThinkPad Twist 2, consider FiiO E7.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 18
They're pretty much identical in pricing used. Which is better?

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 18
I have heard better reviews of the e7, and it has similar sound to the e11. also, the e7 has a screen which is a big plus. also, the fiio e7 and the e07k are NOT the same. they both have a MSRP but the fiio e07k is simply newer, but but very similar to the e7. if you look on Amazon, the e7 has been dropped from $90 to $55

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 18
Thanks! Can you link me to this $55? I cannot find the listing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back