need a portable amp w/ more "character"
Oct 17, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
What you need is a $140 volume control from Xin.

d'oh!

Oct 17, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
that's it man, you need to get back to basics.

Koss Clips.

75 ohm adapter.

cmoy. i like the evilfire.

sik ram din.

ipod.

DONE! go forth and Rock!
cool.gif

Jahn--I know-- I've hit the wall, officially.

Right now the system's even simpler than that:

Koss clips.

D-EJ711.

Iron Maiden.

Sometimes I exchange the D-EJ711 for the iPod, but other than that, I've kept it dead simple, and surprise surprise! I've been enjoying the music alot more and listening to whole albums rather than track-skipping, and listening at about 1.5 on the volume setting for the Sony pcdp (about 1/4 to 1/3 volume on the iPod). I guess amps have at least taught me to turn the volume down if nothing else!

Oct 17, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 30
I gotta agree with the poster(s) that suggest op-amp rolling. If you do not know exactly what sound you want but want it to sound different, just try a few op-amps out!

Oct 17, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdread
I gotta agree with the poster(s) that suggest op-amp rolling. If you do not know exactly what sound you want but want it to sound different, just try a few op-amps out!

If I go back to amping, then I'll probably grab an inexpensive opamp-rollable amp like the Go-Vibe... as it stands, I'll probably stay ampless for a while.

Oct 17, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

that's it man, you need to get back to basics.

Koss Clips.

75 ohm adapter.

cmoy. i like the evilfire.

sik ram din.

ipod.

DONE! go forth and Rock!

you forgot to add "toss this puppy in "

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,,759...8397%2C00.html

not the ultimate in battery life but no way you get more clean current with a single device (Op-amp only,no buffer)

now go forth and rock.................................
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #21 of 30
How about getting a nice set of Ultimate Ears and forgoing the amp? I'm not sure it would add more "character" but it might make a larger difference in what you're hearing...

Oct 17, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 30
How about a tube amp, 12v->110v DC/AC power converter, and a car battery with a large handle on it?
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
How about a tube amp, 12v->110v DC/AC power converter, and a car battery with a large handle on it?
tongue.gif

that is hawt. no doubt.

or a low voltage tube amp, with a single tube (dual triode) set up for battery use...

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
you forgot to add "toss this puppy in "

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,,759...8397%2C00.html

not the ultimate in battery life but no way you get more clean current with a single device (Op-amp only,no buffer)

now go forth and rock.................................
smily_headphones1.gif

Rick,
Does this dual opamp have a single channel counterpart? If so, can you tell us what it is? Thanks!

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
that is hawt. no doubt.

or a low voltage tube amp, with a single tube (dual triode) set up for battery use...

Hello!
9V_Hybrid.jpg

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Rick,
Does this dual opamp have a single channel counterpart? If so, can you tell us what it is? Thanks!

No.This chip is a unique beast that seems to have come out of nowhere earlier this year.The specs scream high current audio use so I think that was the design goal.

Similiar but different (cmos opamp) is the AD8655 (dual version AD8656) which also specs out good for audio use and especially low voltage audio.

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/...AD8655_6_a.pdf

2.7-5.5 VDC operation but what is very surprising is the +/- 75mA output with a 2.7 VDC power supply that ramps up to +/- 220mA at 5 VDC operation
eek.gif

seems to me a perfect chip for low power digital audio output opamp swapping or new designs running off either a single 9V battery , a pair of AAAs or anything in between.Imagine portable cans with this puppy built right in.Amplified headphones running on AAA batteries would not be a stretch.

the AD8397 by comparison is for more conventional headphone amps and may be the single best one chip solution to the opamp/buffer type amps.Simplifying is always desireable and you don't get any simpler than a single opamp with batteries.Better than the above in some ways but each pouring on the current without buffer assistance.

What else ? Look at some of the new ADSL drivers but being extrmely high speed chips present their own problems and may not be a drop in replacement

Oct 19, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

the AD8397 by comparison is for more conventional headphone amps and may be the single best one chip solution to the opamp/buffer type amps.

Yup, and just imagine when all of those people that own RA1's figure out the rest.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
No.This chip is a unique beast that seems to have come out of nowhere earlier this year...

Wow! That's lotsa GOOD info, Rick. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back