Need a portable amp to set between a Fiio X1 and AKG550's
Feb 22, 2015 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oAmadeuso

100+ Head-Fier
Reading lots of reviews but this is not an area I know a lot about so any recommendations would be helpful.

Cheers, in advance.

(edit)
Should maybe add some information...
Budget around £100
Available to the UK
Music tastes various
Tom Waits to The Orb via Katzenjammer.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 15
Budget under £100, maybe a bit more if it'll make a big difference.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 15
"Need a portable amp to set between a Fiio X1 and AKG550's"

Why? The K550s are fairly easy to drive at 32 ohms, 114db sensitivity. The X1 should already be driving them pretty well. What are you trying to achieve with a portable amp?

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 15
The 32-Ohm AKG K550 are easy to drive and the FiiO X1 has more then enough power to drive the K550.
So do not see a good enough reason to get an extra headphone amplifier.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 15
If the K550s are too loose doing the small head mod will do more for the SQ (and isolation) than what can be had with a separate amp, which comes with a penalty for the added bulk.

I've bent the head band in and seem to get a good fit and good isolation.
Is that the mod you mean?

Thanks for all the answers, looks like I may not need one then?
To be honest I like the sound and never have to take the volume past 50% but assumed a seperate amp would give me more detail (playing flacs here) and a wider sound stage.
If this is not the case then i'll be happy to save my money.

Crossfeed appeals but not enough to warrant the spend.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 15
You probably won't need an amp with the K550, but for future upgrades, you might want to consider the E11K amp. (it has a stacking package as well)

I have the X1 myself and I was considering to get an amp too, but it's too bulky for me.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 15
  I've bent the head band in and seem to get a good fit and good isolation.
Is that the mod you mean?

Yes. That just means you don't like their sound to begin with. The X1 isn't that bad an amp for that, so an extra amp if it sounds better likely only does so because it EQs the sound, and then there's the added bulk.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 15

Yes. That just means you don't like their sound to begin with. The X1 isn't that bad an amp for that, so an extra amp if it sounds better likely only does so because it EQs the sound, and then there's the added bulk.

Oh I like the sound, think it's the best little music player i've ever had.

Just thought could get more with an amp.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 15
Oh I like the sound, think it's the best little music player i've ever had.

No. The K550s are easy to drive. And they already have a big soundstage for an open headphone. A portable amp is not going to add to that.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 15
  Oh I like the sound, think it's the best little music player I've ever had.

The AKG K550s have I guess you could call it a somewhat boring sound, the audio that comes out of the K550 sounds clear and has enough detail, but not a lot of "excitement" in the sound.
I preferred my ATH-A900Xs over the my K550s.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Well probably should have listened!
Just received a E11K from Amazon and I can't push it past "3" on the dial without being uncomfortably loud.

It's now going to sit between the AK550's and Foobar on the PC until I get some headphones that need the extra push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back