Need a pair of portable headphones
Jul 15, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nysulli

500+ Head-Fier
I started a post a few days ago, but since then I've both rethought what I'm looking for as well as had an increase in budget

I'm really looking for something for primarily portable use, and I typically listen to hard rock or metal

the budgets a pretty firm $200, but if something just past that really warrants the extra few bucks, then I might be able to stretch things a bit

my main rigs as follows alien dac -> Millet MAX (can't miss build 2) -> HF-1's

I really love the sound of it, so something that would have some bass, but more importantly some "slam" to it with slightly forward and detailed highs and a smooth midrange

the portable rig is as follows

Creative micro-photo -> Mini^3 (high performance) -> ?

the RE2's had been suggested which seemed decent, and the sa6's have caught my attention, but i'm also looking for what else is out there in my pricerange

edit: almost forgot, some decent sound isolation is a must, as these will likely be replacing my now deceased px100's for some road trips with the inlaws and desk use when i'm not trying to annoy my wife or my officemate

edit 2: one final thought, if I realistically can't approach the sound quality (within reason) of say my HF-1's in an IEM, then let me know, I have zero previous experience with IEM's and if I can't really get something at least somewhat comparable to whats available for $200 with full sized phones, then maybe I'll just go with the RE2s for $100 and leave it at that

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 8
After some searching I'm Between the RE1 or the SA6, anyones thoughts on which to go with for Rock/metal, or another suggestion that I may have looked past

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I bit the bullet and went with the SA6's

good to know I've got 30 days to return them if I'm not happy with them, but based on the reviews I think I'll be pretty happy with my first IEM

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Hope you made the right choice. Meaning that you will be pleased with the SA6...
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back