Need a pair of Portable Circumaural Headphones to match iPod Classic. Upgrading from ATH-M50.
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thug behram

Previously known as canuckavelli
Bought a pair of ATH-M50's a few months ago to use on my commute driven from my iPod Classic, and it isn't cutting it. Other headphones I own are TDK EB750, Sony MDR-V150, Monoprice 8323. The last two are not used frequently. 

The headphones should be portable as I don't want to carry around an amp. 40 ohm impedance or lower should be good. They should match the iPod Classic sound-wise. The latest Classic's chip is sub-par and the sound is very bright and tinny. Very "electronic" sound as opposed to natural. 80% of the time the iPod will be the source, the other times it'll be an laptop or my audio system connected to my TV. Music is 90% hip-hop/rap so obviously mids/vocals and bass is very important. I have a small head as well, I've tried cans which were too loose even on the tightest setting. The m50's fit me perfectly on the tightest setting. I use them in public so obviously should be closed.

OK so the ATH-M50's. 

I like:

- They are very easy to drive
- Very portable, like they way they fold
- Build quality decent
- Cheap, doesn't break the bank
- Fairly accurate flat sound
- Very nice dynamics and detail
I dislike:

- Sorta uncomfortable. This is largely due to the pleather pads I think and I will switch to velour if I end up keeping these
- Kinda cheap/bland feeling/looking, want something that feels and looks nice (although this isn't that important). Something more luxurious looking.
- Poor soundstage. I swear my MDR-V150's had a better soundstage than these. The sound feels like its in your head as opposed to around you. Also games and movies aren't that immersive.
- The treble is sooooo harsh and metallic. It may be because the bright iPod is matched with these bright cans.
- Mids are kinda recessed. Not that bad I guess but could be better
- Mid/Upper Bass is OK, could be louder
- Sub Bass too quiet. Hip-hop producers use many low frequencies and I cannot hear half of them in these cans. I can in my home and car setups just fine.

Overall they sound kind of boring tbh. I mean, they're good but I'm just being greedy and want more. The main issues are the harsh trebles and quite sub-bass. The rest I can live with.

Budget is flexible but I'd like to keep it below $250. I live in Canada so prices are higher. I bought the ATH-M50's for $140 taxes and shipping in. If I replace them, I will prob sell them for close to the same price.

Models I've looked into:

- Beyerdynamic dt 770 Pro 32 ohm. I know they are not as bassy as the 80 ohm model so I wonder if it'll be enough bass for me. Also despite being 32 ohms I heard they are hard to drive. I doubt the 80 ohm model will go loud enough with my iPod.
- Logitech UE6000. don't care about noise cancelling but they come on sale often.
- Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. The bass port intrigues me.
- V-Moda m-80 and m-100. I love the industrial look and feel. I know the V100's are expensive but they've been on sale on Amazon Canada for $190 before. Should've grabbed em then.
- Bowers and Wilkins P5/P7. Pricey and not a fan of the look but they've been recommended.
- Sennheiser Momentum. Again, pricey but I've heard great things.
- Mad Dogs. Haven't learned much about these but they've been mentioned a lot.
- Beats Studio, older gen. They're pretty cheap now. The sound is decent, good bass.

I'd love some advice, insight, recommendations. etc.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 9
I think you will like the V-Moda. However, you will *never* get the bass out of headphones that you can get from a car or home stereo. The visceral "feel" in your gut of bass requires the space you are in to be pressurized by the bass notes. That simply can't happen with headphones.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 9
I think you will like the V-Moda. However, you will *never* get the bass out of headphones that you can get from a car or home stereo. The visceral "feel" in your gut of bass requires the space you are in to be pressurized by the bass notes. That simply can't happen with headphones.

Of course not and I don't expect that. However there are headphones I've owned in the past, lower end mind you, that have decent amount of bass. Sony cans mainly, Beats too but their bass is kinda one toned and does extend that low.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back