Need A Pair of Open-cans for around $170-$200
Apr 8, 2016 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DwopDaBass

New Head-Fier
I am in the hunt for a good pair of open-back pair of headphones for under $200 (preferably less). I am really picky when it comes to sound stage, and that speaks to my first purchase the SoundMagic HP-150. I was wanting something close to them but with more treble presence and better sound stage. i would still like to have the bass response equal to the HP-150s, but I do understand the limitations of an open-backed pair. These will be used mostly for gaming (CS:GO mainly), but I will be listening to music with them as well. I only have a Fiio q1 to drive them; they do a good job with my HP-150s, though that is not saying much :p .

I listen to mainly rock and dubstep/EDM. I listen to many others, but those two genres take up most of my library of songs.

Ones I have been considering:

AKG Q701
Philips Fidelio x1 (used)
AKG k701 (used)
SoundMagic HP-200
Byerdynamic DT880/990 80-250Ohm

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated, and very helpful. Right now I am leaning more toward the Philips Fidelio x1 or the SoundMagic HP-200. Thanks for the help in advance.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 14
AKG Q701 and K701 are pretty similar. I think the main difference is the K701 are more geared toward higher end amp/DAC setups. Beyer DT770/880 are also very good headphones. Sennheiser HD598's are worth looking into also.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 14
If you're looking for something with a sound stage though,I can't not recommended the original purple Audio Technica AD700's. Even over the new AD700x model. They can be had for like $100 and they're known to have one of the airiest and spacious sounds out there. Even topping headphones 2-3x it's price range. The soundstage on the AD700 is legendary. But since you're more into EDM type music,I'd go with the Beyer DT770 over the 880. More geared towards that type of music. To be honest,none of those headphones are gonna be top notch for those genres. Something closed back like the DT770 would suit you best. They still sound fantastic none the less. They're me gonna be great for rock/EDM and they also have a pretty nice soundstage for closed back for gaming.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 14
Ah I see. I might have thrown you off with my preference to music. I do enjoy some bass, but I do have a pair of HP-150s that satisfies that to a degree. I do not need heavy bass, just do not want it to be completely out of the picture. I will be listening to mostly rock and EDM, but I will be primarily gaming with these so a great sound stage and clear sound is by far the biggest priority. If the DT770 have a good sound stage then I might have to look at them. Just worried that the open airiness type of sound that i can get from an open-back headphone would be better for gaming. Thanks for the suggestions, and I will look into the HD598s!

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 14
I think the main thing here if you're looking for a large soundstage is gonna be with an Amp/DAC upgrade. I game too,I have the Senn HD558's and I hear the Schiit Stack amp/DAC combo opens out the soundstage MASSIVELY. Almost doubling it. Haven't used this combo myself,but I figured I'd tell you about it because I hear it works wonders just having a good DAC. Especially when it comes to providing the full potentional of an open back headphone.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 14
As much as i would love the Schiit stack, it would set me back quite a bit. The most I could do at the moment would be to buy the headphones and maybe one of the stack. I might just have to wait. I would really like a pair now, maybe I can get a good pair of headphones now then upgrade my DAC/AMP situation in a couple of weeks/months; that might be what i will have to do.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 14
Does anyone have any experience with either the HD 598s or the Philips Fidelio x1? I have the chance to pick them both up within 20 dollars of each other, the HD 598s being the cheaper of the two. Also are the others able to compare to these, really intrigued by the HP-200s.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 14
  Does anyone have any experience with either the HD 598s or the Philips Fidelio x1? I have the chance to pick them both up within 20 dollars of each other, the HD 598s being the cheaper of the two. Also are the others able to compare to these, really intrigued by the HP-200s.

I own HD598. It is lush, rich in the mids with a pleasantly rolled off treble and bass that is on the lighter side but still with enough presence to make a firm foundation for the music. Soundstage and imaging are superb, better than some cans costing much more. I would say it is particularly good for gaming, classical, jazz, folk, and all vocal music. Not so good for edm and hard rock/metal, IMO.  If bass is a big priority, then between these two, the X1 will be the direction you will likely want to go, as it has significantly more bass extension than the 598. It also has a very good soundstage. What I remember about the HP200 is that it was bright bordering on sibilant at times. If you are sensitive to treble, then it could be an issue. If you aren't sensitive to treble, it's a non-factor. Good luck. :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 14

I own HD598. It is lush, rich in the mids with a pleasantly rolled off treble and bass that is on the lighter side but still with enough presence to make a firm foundation for the music. Soundstage and imaging are superb, better than some cans costing much more. I would say it is particularly good for gaming, classical, jazz, folk, and all vocal music. Not so good for edm and hard rock/metal, IMO.  If bass is a big priority, then between these two, the X1 will be the direction you will likely want to go, as it has significantly more bass extension than the 598. It also has a very good soundstage. What I remember about the HP200 is that it was bright bordering on sibilant at times. If you are sensitive to treble, then it could be an issue. If you aren't sensitive to treble, it's a non-factor. Good luck. :)

So would you say that the X1 and the HP-200s would be more on my radar than the others? If they are comparable would it be safe to go with the soundmagics since I already own the HP-150s, or is the sound significantly more sibilant than the HP150s? At this point I am leaning more towards the X1s than anything, but I have heard some great things about the HP-200s.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 14
The HP200 are, I think most listeners would agree, brighter than the HP150. But the thing is, if treble is not something a person is sensitive to, it doesn't matter. The HP200 are an excellent can, there is no doubt. But if you are worried about the top end on them, then perhaps the safer bet is the X1. The X1 will pair well with your music tastes, as well, with its significant bass extension. The 598 is also fantastic, it just doesn't seem to mate as well with your particular interests and proclivities, it seems.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Sounds like the X1 would be more suited for my tastes in music. That is unless the HP-200s would have the bass presents of the X1s. I can stand treble, just I would like some nice bass to help my EDM music out. If the HP-200s don't have that bass punch then I believe I will go with the X1s and call it a day.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 14
It is all good. i am glad to hear that they do. It is all good the more I know they more I can make an educated decision. I think I am going to go with the X1s in this case. Thank you for all your help on the matter. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 14
As much as I would like portable cans i do not really need a pair. I have Ostray KC06As for that purpose. All I need is a gaming headset, I have a mic (ATR 2500), so i am afraid I will not be using the in-line mic. I have heard that the X1s are overall better than the l1s. Not quite sure if that is true or not though. I have the X1s on order right now we will see how they fair. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might pick up the HD 598s just to have a pair that are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back