need a pair of isolating headphones / iems
Oct 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

helllooooooo

Head-Fier
hellloooooo. everytime i buy some iems they always short out within ~4-6 months. 

will be using it on the school bus and at home. need something that can isolate well but won't break if you sneeze on it.

my budget is about 30 dollars. 

recent pair of iems was the sennheiser cx-200 ii, so something along those lines. maybe more durable though.

i mostly listen to electronic but i'll listen to anything, so any jack of all trades is nice.

thanks for reading.

goodbyyyeeeeeee

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 21
Eh I Like the Shure SE215 but they are $99.00 which are really worth the $99 in my opinion. But if your Hard set on $60 ummm The V-moda Remix should be pretty good and they are very durable from my experience with them

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 21
  hellloooooo. everytime i buy some iems they always short out within ~4-6 months. 

will be using it on the school bus and at home. need something that can isolate well but won't break if you sneeze on it.

my budget is about 60 dollars. 

recent pair of iems was the sennheiser cx-200 ii, so something along those lines. maybe more durable though.

i've considered the px-200 ii but i still don't know about their isolation so if someone can enlighten me on that i'd be glad.

i mostly listen to hip hop and some dnb but i'll listen to anything, so any jack of all trades is nice.

thanks for reading.

goodbyyyeeeeeee

considerations:
v-moda remix

I'm guessing sound is less of a priority, which makes narrowing choices easier, I figure.

The PX200 II - not only are they supra-aural (on-ear), but they don't have that particular clamp that would allow for noteworthy isolation. They're okay last time I tried, there's also the fact that the pads are too small to cover much of the ear.

In terms of warmish balance, and good build - I'd second the SE215 due to the nice bulk of the cable and the fact that I've not heard much bad about the MMCX connectors as of recent, although not as much people are talking about them so take from that what you will. The price would be restrictive, but if you're not in a hurry, Black Friday is just up the corner, and places like earphonesolution (which is infamous for this, just ask any W4 owners) or amazon, have great sales for this sort of stuff.

If you're are in a hurry, could go with the tried-and-true M2 - although the strain relief might not be as nice as on the SE215, but I'm picky about strain reliefs so your mileage will vary.

Hopefully someone chimes in on the RHA IEMs, or the VSD1s, I hear good thing about build for the former, and good things about sound for the latter. Obviously I've not had these two so don't take much credence in my words - they're pretty popular choices nowadays, so it wouldn't hurt to do some research on them, I'd say.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 21
  I'm guessing sound is less of a priority, which makes narrowing choices easier, I figure.

The PX200 II - not only are they supra-aural (on-ear), but they don't have that particular clamp that would allow for noteworthy isolation. They're okay last time I tried, there's also the fact that the pads are too small to cover much of the ear.

In terms of warmish balance, and good build - I'd second the SE215 due to the nice bulk of the cable and the fact that I've not heard much bad about the MMCX connectors as of recent, although not as much people are talking about them so take from that what you will. The price would be restrictive, but if you're not in a hurry, Black Friday is just up the corner, and places like earphonesolution (which is infamous for this, just ask any W4 owners) or amazon, have great sales for this sort of stuff.

If you're are in a hurry, could go with the tried-and-true M2 - although the strain relief might not be as nice as on the SE215, but I'm picky about strain reliefs so your mileage will vary.

Hopefully someone chimes in on the RHA IEMs, or the VSD1s, I hear good thing about build for the former, and good things about sound for the latter. Obviously I've not had these two so don't take much credence in my words - they're pretty popular choices nowadays, so it wouldn't hurt to do some research on them, I'd say.

do you know how much the se215s will be around black friday btw?

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 21
Just as a side comment - I have to ask the OP: Do you pull the IEMs out of your ears by the cord? That's a fairly common way to break the cable. Also, if you wrap the cord around your phone and stick it in your backpack so that it bounces around or in your jeans pocket, those are also good ways to break the cord. Good luck!

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 21
Actually, the Senns have pretty crappy strain reliefs so it's unavoidable to an extent.

By the by, definitely do not wrap them around a phone or an edged object as it gives kinks. The over-under cable wrapping technique is key here.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 21
Just as a side comment - I have to ask the OP: Do you pull the IEMs out of your ears by the cord? That's a fairly common way to break the cable. Also, if you wrap the cord around your phone and stick it in your backpack so that it bounces around or in your jeans pocket, those are also good ways to break the cord. Good luck!
nope. i pull them out by the earbuds themselves. no wrapping around the phones like hooligans either. i usually unplug
them and stick them in my pocket. that's about it

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 21
I can vouch for the SE215. I've owned one in the past. Good build, decent audio quality and definitely of great value. Isolation is very good as well with the comply tips, something that would be useful on a noisy bus.

All the best!

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 21
  I can vouch for the SE215. I've owned one in the past. Good build, decent audio quality and definitely of great value. Isolation is very good as well with the comply tips, something that would be useful on a noisy bus.

All the best!

The foam tips that come with it are much better then the Comply ones ( in my opinion ) and are cheaper I believe if you need new ones ( I think I saw them cheaper on amazon). I also found the typical silicone tips to isolate very good as well

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 21

The foam tips that come with it are much better then the Comply ones ( in my opinion ) and are cheaper I believe if you need new ones ( I think I saw them cheaper on amazon). I also found the typical silicone tips to isolate very good as well

In my opinion all the tips have a decent amount of isolation. I guess it really comes down to comfort, but I did find in my experience that the comply tips were better at isolation, possibly because it formed the shape of my canal when expanded.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 21
If you want to try a good isolating over-ear IEM for not much money, there is the Mee M6: http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Sport-Fi-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

Good isolation doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back