Need a pair of headphones for $150 or less
Jan 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

drgnfrc13

100+ Head-Fier
I was debating whether to post this here or in the full-sized section, as what I am looking for is just a pair of headphones that I can wear when I walk home from school. I currently only have one pair of headphones (srh-840's), which I absolutley love the sound of, but they are much too large to take to school with me every day (although I was thinking there are probably some smaller cans out there that still qualify as "full-sized," but idk). I don't really care if they are on-ear or over-ear, and they do not need outrageous bass or anything like that; heck I don't really even care much about the build quality since they will just sit in my locker at school every day until 2:20pm. My main concerns are overall SQ and enough clamping force to stay on my head (the latter of which I've notice my 840's sort of lack).

I figured up my budget as exactly $150.94 (I have $160 to spend and sales tax here is 6%, so I just set up a simple equation and found that this is my maximum price before taxing). And it needs to be something that is available at BestBuy since, unfortunately, $100 of my budget is on a gift card. Right now, I'm sort of leaning towards Skullcandy Aviators (the size is perfect, and for Skullcandy's, they seem to be relatively well liked), but since I haven't done much research yet, I'm definitely open to any/all suggestions. Thanks, in advance.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 10
Do you want an open or closed headphone? if you want sound isolation, have you considered an IEM? Do you want something with extra bass, or something that sounds natural?

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, from looking at their website, it looks like Best Buy doesn't have a very large selection of open-backed headphones (looks like the only ones they have are Sennheisers). But for my purposes, sound isolation isn't going to be an issue, in fact it might be better to have more outside sound coming in. I'd rather not use IEMs, that is the kind I use now and I really don't like anything about them (of course mine are pretty low-end; I think I paid about $40 for them, but I think even with higher quality IEMs, I would probably still prefer full-sized headphones.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Oh and as for sound, I'd like them to be somewhat neutral since I listen to a wide range of music, but emphasized bass isn't necessarily a bad thing for me, as long as it doesn't overpower the mids.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 10
The only two brands at Bestbuy I would buy is Shure or AKG.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Jan 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Which models would you recommend?

I really do not know the Shures and AKG well enough to help with, but there is a lot of feedback on Head-Fi about them.
(the Sennheiser and Audio Technica are overpriced)
I'm just so turned off by all the other "unknown" brands sold at Bestbuy.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 10
The trouble with buying headphones at Best Buy is that they sell so much junk, and what they sell that isn't junk is usually priced so much higher than Amazon. i did find two items that look reasonable both as far as quality and the Best Buy price. Best buy sells the Koss PRODJ100 headphones for $80. it is $79 on Amazon. This headphone has received great reviews. It is very neutral.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Professional-DJ-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1325735754&sr=1-1-catcorr

If you want a good compact portable open headphone then get the Sennheiser PX100-ii. It is $47 now at Best Buy. The lowest I have seen it is $41. The PX100-ii folds to a small size, so you can put it in a jacket pocket.  I have the original PX100 and like it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Precision+On-Ear+Open-Aire+Headphones/9636974.p?id=1218136067153&skuId=9636974

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I really do not know the Shures and AKG well enough to help with, but there is a lot of feedback on Head-Fi about them.
(the Sennheiser and Audio Technica are overpriced)
I'm just so turned off by all the other "unknown" brands sold at Bestbuy.

Seems to me like they have plenty of well-known brands (M-Audio, Denon, Senn, AT, Pioneer, Phiaton, AKG, and Shure), I just have no idea which models are the best in this price range.

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
The trouble with buying headphones at Best Buy is that they sell so much junk, and what they sell that isn't junk is usually priced so much higher than Amazon. i did find two items that look reasonable both as far as quality and the Best Buy price. Best buy sells the Koss PRODJ100 headphones for $80. it is $79 on Amazon. This headphone has received great reviews. It is very neutral.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Professional-DJ-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1325735754&sr=1-1-catcorr

If you want a good compact portable open headphone then get the Sennheiser PX100-ii. It is $47 now at Best Buy. The lowest I have seen it is $41. The PX100-ii folds to a small size, so you can put it in a jacket pocket.  I have the original PX100 and like it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Precision+On-Ear+Open-Aire+Headphones/9636974.p?id=1218136067153&skuId=9636974

Thanks, this is very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back