Need a pair of Audiophile level headphones under $500?
Jan 26, 2014 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Alex Nduaguibe

New Head-Fier
I bought the skull candy crushers, with the "bass you can feel" last spring, and to be honest they are fun to listen to simply because the bass vibrates. But I realize these headphones really don't offer much when it comes to the mids and highs, and just good quality music in general. I'm looking for a closed, possibly noise canceling, pair of over ear headphones from a nice respected brand that look sophisticated/classy. I was thinking maybe Shure or Sennheiser? Any suggestions?

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 8
I want to be able to listen to professional music and orchestra music and hear every instrument, and I want them to be audiophile level. Basically, I want the most audiophilic headphones that can be bought for under $500. I'm not concerned about having a pair that provides "bass you can feel" as long as the bass still exists and in complete balance with the rest of the music.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 8
not sure what your source and amp are. most of these headphones are about your own preferences. I've heard a lot of the most expensive models and not found them much to my liking. try some of the closed stuff. yamaha 400, akg 550, amperior, dt 770, hd 280, great stuff that's not too expensive. I don't recommend blowing gobs of money on things you haven't heard.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 8
what's your source?
if it is a phone you better buy a dac along with headphone
headphone alone without good source wont take you anywhere
good source that matched with headphones will take you anywhere you want musically
plan to buy dac and headphone $500 if you dont have a good source
if portability is the issue, buy dap like fiio x3, ibasso dx50

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Definitely recommend any of the Beyerdynamic DT 660/770/880 lineup depending on the type of sound you're looking for.  Since they aren't too expensive and under your budget, you could also invest in a decent Dac/Amp combo to really bring out the full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back