Need a notebook sound solution for use with Klipsch speakers
Jul 14, 2005 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MajinWu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm stuck between an Indigo card and Audigy NX. I know Indigo is leagues better than Audigy, but hear me out.

I'm mainly using my Klipsch Promedia 4.1 speakers out of my IBM T42. So if I were to use an Indigo, I'd have to use a splitter for the system to work, and that would worsen the sound quality. On the other hand with an Audigy NX, no splitter is required. Also, I use Linux often, and I've read in forums that Audigy NX works in Linux, but no such support for Indigo.

And I'm kinda confused on which Indigo card does dual headphone out...

If I were using headphones then I would have no questions. But with these speakers, would I really hear a significant difference in sound between the Indigo and Audigy NX? I play mostly level 6 OGG files.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Hey, go with the pcmcia cardbus solutions. I use the Creative Audigy 2 ZS and use the 2.1 speaker output when using the headphones. With Jetaudio Plus it sounds great. I'm no audiophile so very satisfied. With this it support 7.1 surround, EAX 4, gaming wise it is great and convenient since you don't have more wires, usb and and extra thing to lug around.

There is the Indigo cardbus. Its 24 bit/96khz, while the creative is 24 bit/192 khz. But seems apparent if you just want it for music, go with the indigo, has superior headphone amp. But if you want an overall card, I'd go with the creative especially if you klipsch is a surround speaker package.

Have to make sure that your PCMCIA slot can support these advanced settings, the high output. There are a lot of pcmcia slots that either don't support this or they do and just sound bad it seems. Good luck to you.

I realize that USB externals provide better sound, but the conveniece won me over.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Any other input out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back