Need a Nikon D200 book that speaks english!
Dec 30, 2007 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

artizen65

Head-Fier
Well I have had my D200 for over a year now and I am clueless when it comes to shooting in manual mode. Any recomendations on a book that explains this body in laymans terms is greatly appreciated.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shooting in Manual Mode isn't a D200 guide, it's SLR photography in general. Try Ansel Adams' books.

I have had my FG since 83 (It has been re-built twice and been around the world) and still live by my Nikor 50 Lens. I used it in my photography class a couple of years ago and had the crispest shots of any one.

The metering system on the D200 baffles me.

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 13
Well, I played a little today set the iso and appature looked through the lens finder and for the life of me I can't figure out what the shutter speed should be. I did not dig out the manual though.

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 13
You mean you can't see the exposure adjustments on the camera? like the -+ the meter reads? It should be on the bottom. Might be disabled by a setting. Recommend reading the manual.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by artizen65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I played a little today set the iso and appature looked through the lens finder and for the life of me I can't figure out what the shutter speed should be. I did not dig out the manual though.

If you want the camera to set the shutter speed, set it to Aperture-Priority mode. Only use full manual when you know what settings you want.

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Ok I pulled out the book and figured it out. There is a bar with a 0 in the center that after you set either aperture or shutter speed you adjust the other untill just the 0 appears and you are set.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 13
The fact remains - if you're going to use exactly the exposure settings the camera's meter is telling you, why aren't you using Aperture or Shutter-priority mode instead of Manual? Manual is for when you need something specific that you already know.

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact remains - if you're going to use exactly the exposure settings the camera's meter is telling you, why aren't you using Aperture or Shutter-priority mode instead of Manual? Manual is for when you need something specific that you already know.

I only know of one way to get the camera settings you need to be able to take a picture. A light meter! Now one can use the one in the camera or purchase a hand held and work with that. In either case the meter must be calibrated with the camera being used.

Now I can trust the camera to set the aperture or shutter speed
frown.gif
or I can take a series of pictures using bracketing to see where my preference lies in relation to the meter I am using.

Now from a brief experement today I have found that a full stop is the way to go with bracketing with this setup (for my particular taste) although I have not tried the auto bracketing or 1/3 or 1/2 stop bracketing. I have a lot more shooting to do, to decide what works best for my piticular taste.

IMHO it will take some shots with bracketing to let me know if I prefer the metered shot or if I need to compensate by a stop to get the desired shot.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 13
I think that will change depending on scene from what I have seen Artizen. I generally adjust the compensation based on shot. Look at the histograph and adjust ABSOLUTELY NEVER ADJUST BASED ON THE LCD'S APPEARANCE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back